Testing Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

There was a thread a while back about doing comparison testing on all mowers.

Quite a while ago I stumbled across boattest.com which does tests of boats of all types including powerboats, personal watercraft, and fishing boats.

I was at that site yesterday and they are now adding trucktest.com. There, you can watch so far just a video of the new 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab Diesel.

This got me to thinking if they, or someone like it, could do testing of commercial equipment. On those websites there were full reviews of all aspects of the boats, but not saying which was better. They just went over everything on the boats, all features, specs, and how it did on the water.

Now couldn't that be done for mowers? I know one of the arguments from the other thread was the cost to do it. But they've done it with boats and now starting with trucks, why couldn't it be done with commercial lawn equipment so we, the consumer, will be able to research equipment better? Maybe each mower manufacturer could pay for their own companies review to put on the website, I'll call it mowertest.com.

What do you guys think? I don't know how it would work, but I've seen it work for boats, and it's really cool to get a quick overview of everything about a piece of machinery all online.

It was just a thought I had, and I know how board we all are during the winter months and some of the topics get monotonous, so maybe this will help...:waving:
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it wouldnt' mater to me about their test only about my test .i might like "a" mower better than"c" mower where the tester liker "b" better than "a".
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are 57 manufacturers of ZTRs. Dixie Chopper by itself has 24 different mowers. You'd better get busy.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

There are probably that or more models and manufacturers of boats...
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are willing to test every mower there is no point in testing any mowers. To just pick one or two from a specific manufacturer and then judge all mowers from that manufacturer wouldn't be fair or accurate. It'd be like that crap that Consumer Reports does. We'll just test a few brands of TV or appliances and every other brand gets screwed because if you're looking to CR for advice most people will think if the brand they're looking at isn't even being tested then it isn't worth the time.

Like I said, test them all in all conditions or don't bother. Be fair and comprehensive.