Testing potential Employees

Discussion in 'Employment' started by BillyRgn, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i was looking for a test to give potential employees. just on basic safty, common sense, and some other stuff to prove they have experence and are not morons, if anyone has one or knows ware i can get one it would be greatly appreciated thanks billy

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

For as long as you'll spend looking you could probably do better making your own, totally custom to your needs.

3. mr.greenjeans

mr.greenjeans LawnSite Member

Ok, the easiest way to test a new employee.

I used to work for another lawn guy before I went out on my own. In the morning we would give the new guy a brand new pair of safety glasses. Not a cheap clear pair but a nice pair of sunglasses. We would tell him they must be worn at all times when running equipment. Before the day was over, 9 out of 10 guys will have lost them or broke them. Some of them never took them out of the truck. I would then send the poor shmuck to weed wack. While rideing by on the mower I would see him trying to get dirt out of his eyes. I would point to the sunglasses on his head and he would put them on until he was done. This would happen at every job, all day. When we get back to the yard he was usually canned.
    We went through seventeen guys in one year just trying to find one that would last.
    If they can't keep a $10.00 pair of glasses on their face at the job and still have them at the end of the day they will not keep track of trimmers and blowers either. I can buy 50 pairs of glasses before I spend enough money to replace a back pack blower.
    Good luck in your quest for "four eyes". In the mean time keep your own eyes on all your stuff cause chances are, your the only one who will

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...Simply put, if employees can't follow basic directions don't waste your time trying to train them on doing good work, paying attention to details, or using care with equipment. It will never happen.
    After going through a few employees you get to where you can tell within about 20-30 minutes of the first day of work if they will make it.

5. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

All these are really good ideas I have been thinking of what to look out for when looking for new team members for my business.

6. start with them walking a straight line.

7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

My back yard borders a green belt. So, whenever I look at a prospective employee, I give him a weedeater and a pair of safety glasses and have him trim the fence line. One guy looked at the weedeater like it was the stragest thing he ever saw. ( supposedly had 2 years experience ) He couldn't figure out how to start it. Another guy was swinging it like nothing I had ever seen. Yet another said what's wrong with the height of the grass? It was only 8" tall. Yep....there are some real winners for ya.

9. Jenny Thomas

Jenny Thomas LawnSite Member

I m jenny, some days ago I found a site Marketraise Corp. I find this very interesting because it is something related to the concept of virtual employees , where they allows us to keep a track on our works and also they are really very cost effective as compared to the real employees working for IT or software employees.
    They offer different packages for projects depending upon the rate and work, it is really a nice. I have a regular requirement of employees for my projects and I had hired them for projects also. If my experience seems to be nice I will again share with you.

10. lawnart

lawnart LawnSite Member

Now that's an idea...virtual employees!! :hammerhead: