Testing RPMs on Toro Proline 21

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawn Sharks, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Model 22040.

What equipment do I need to determine what RPMs this is running at? I think it is a bit slow and want to get my blade tip speed up.

Thanks for any help on what I need to do.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Use something like a tiny tach.

3. Lawn Sharks

Thanks TX, just sent Tiny Tach an email to be sure I get the right model. Looks like the Standard will do me fine. Thanks for the tip.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Keth,

Have you ever compared your Proline's Suzuki performance to the Kawasaki's? I'm just wondering how your 5.5 hp 2-cycle compares to the 6.5 4-cycle. Do you know how much your's weighs?

5. Lawn Sharks

Sorry. I have never compared the performance of the two. Pushing a Kawi at a dealer it seemed a little heavier but not by a whole lot. I am sure the Kawi is a great mower.

I just mowed my backyard and I am always proud of the performance of the Suzuki. If you don't need a self-propelled one, which I insist on having, there is one on Ebay right now that may sell for a good price.

6. Lawn Sharks

Just to let everyone know I got and installed the TinyTach today. My Toro is at 3300 rpms. Thanks again for all the help!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

LawnSharks -- where did you get the Tiny Tach and how does it install? I have the same mower and often am wondering if the rpms are right. Is 3,300 the right speed?

Thanks.

8. Lawn Sharks

I got it from their website which seemed to have the best prices. Solid little unit.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

They shipped it quickly and I had it in a week.

I think that some people advocate bumping the RPMs on these mowers up to 3700 but nobody responded to a post I had asking how to do this properly.

Cheers

9. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

I also would like to know how to advance the RPM's on a Suzuki 2 stroke. and if anyone knows the part# for the high lift blades?

10. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I've always set the engine rpm's on the little Suzuki at 3600, no load. You can adjust the rpm's in one of two ways.

1. The governor spring can be moved to a position that will increase the spring tension on the governor arm.

2. The governor spring can be removed, rebent to shorten a bit. In doing so this will increase the spring tension.

Either method you happen to use, do so after making sure the throttle/choke cable is adjusted so that it fully engages the choke butterfly.