testing soil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mykster, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Did a search on this but, I didn't really find the reason why you do soil tests. What kind of things are you looking for when doing this? And, what does it tell you about the soil? Do you do this on every new client you pick-up?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

levels of major plant nutrients, including phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium

levels of plant micronutrients, including copper, manganese, sulfur and zinc

levels of sodium

pH and acidity

soil class

percent base saturation

percent humic matter

3. Lawn-Scapes

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Unable to read the fil you sent. we have two computers in this house. Mine's in my office and would open this file. The one that is online is in our bedroom and is a piece of crap!!! And is unable to open the file seeming how it's a 386 and barely runs. Thanks anyway TSG.

5. Lawn-Scapes

You need Acrobat reader..

Write the link down and check it out at the office..

I could copy and paste it (10 pages) for email.. if you have Word or Word Perfect...

My first post is the basic summary

let me know

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I do soil samples to help determine the intervals, amounts, and types of fertilizing (including weed control) products I need for my customer.

Normally the soil sample test is done free for a new customer because 99.99% of the time I will get them to agree on a fert. program.

And I will also market other services such as core aeration, dethatching, overseeding, etc.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member