Testing the new Lesco ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Sep 16, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would drop a note on my experience with the new Lesco ZTR. Tested it on a 5 acre account last week and was very impressed. I fully expected it to not perform well- thought it would be a rattle trap with uneven cuts and the like. Not true! Cut Burmuda @ 2 inches- no stray shoots sticking up. Great even cut. The system felt very solid. The seat was comfortable, deck changes were assisted by one's foot, the speed was good, had plenty of room to shift and move around. By the wasy it was a 54". The only thing I'd change is the size of the gas tanks.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

is this the regular viper? or did the finally come out with the new design?

3. sheppard

The dealer said that MTD is making the mower but Lesco is doing all the QC on it. I was predudiced going in- mostly from reading all the comments on this site. My initial experience was however, very good.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

4. capnfrantic

capnfrantic LawnSite Member

I have a Cub Cadet M54 (same as what you demo'd) that has done a great job so far. I have 112 hrs. on it. I can't find anything wrong with the design as of yet. I think the lame deck they started out with has given this unit a bad rap. BTW does Lesco offer hydraulic cooling on the Viper?

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Uh oh.......now you've really gone and done it. It's not the COOL thing to do around here, ya know. (Praise any piece of Lesco equipment, that is.) Usually when this one comes up, a lot of people weigh in that hear the MTD name and they can't stop thinking of the cheapo department store mowers carrying the MTD name. The new Viper is a GREAT machine and if I lived closer to a Lesco service center, then I would probably get one.

6. sheppard

Companies can change- 20 years ago Japan had a lousy reputation. The proof for me was in the trying of the system. Don't know much about the inner workings of the mower (hydraulic cooling). Competition is a wonderful thing. If a company wants to stay in the market then it will have to get competative.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Cub comm. M-60, 23 Kaw. Cuts as good as the other brands, no problems as of yet. I think there the same as lesco.

8. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Hey, Sheppard and capnfrantic - I assume both these mowers have the pivoting front axle - do you think this really works well, follows the contours of the ground better? Any negative aspect to the pivot axle?

9. sheppard

Yep, it had the pivoting front axle. Got to say that the property looked better than what the Snapper, Wright Stander did. Right now the Stander is still in the front running- can fit it and my 36 inch on the trailer at the same time. If I go with the Lesco (trying a Dixie Chopper Thurs.) or anything else I'll have to get another trailer.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

10. capnfrantic

capnfrantic LawnSite Member

No problems with pivoting front axle... pins in helps out on slopes.