Testing tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, Apr 13, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I am taking my certified applicator's test tomorrow and am a little nervous. I don't know what to expect. Is the test on basic knowledge or does it get deep into the "meat" of pesticide applications? Any help would be appreciated.

2. spcfoor

Anybody have any advise?

3. Mr.turfguy

Mr.turfguy LawnSite Member

Your test may be different from the test I took for NC, but it was actually pretty easy. Each book that they gave me to study had key terms to know and practice questions at the end of each chapter. I made sure I knew all of the terms and the answers to all practice questions. I read the books one time each . I do not really have any prior experience with pesticides other than spending 4 years as a Garden Center Manager for Lowes. Most of the chemicals we sold are different from what pros use. I have to say, I learned a ton from reading those books and searching this site. Good Luck and don't sweat it if you have prepared.

T

4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with the basic knowledge in your study guide. When I did my first one, I went off on several tangents that were part of other catagories but had absolutely nothing to do with mine. The qualified applicators license was so easy, I was done in an hour. The agricultural pest control advisor license is MUCH more intense. Unless you have a B.S or better, I'd wait on the APCA license. California has one of the hardest test in the nation and the strictest laws and regs. I'd expect you'll have a wee bit of math( calculating square footage of a square, circle, triangle, etc.), a few questions on diseases, bacterial infections, etc. and a few on insects,(beneficials and malevolent) and other pest. Read your material a few times before the test and use common sense, you'll do fine. Best of luck to you.-Garth

5. spcfoor

Thank you very much.

6. Mr.turfguy

Mr.turfguy LawnSite Member

I passed the test, got my scores today. 88 on the Orn & Turf and 89 on the core.

7. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations! Now that you have a license, please remember the responsibility that goes with it. Learn all you can so you can make an informed decision when a situation arises. Above all, be safe.

8. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Here in Wa. theres no "meat" in the questions here. I think that's sad but what the heck.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Well FL joins CA as one of the toughest tests in the nation. Ours had 200 questions 50 of which were on pictures of weeds and bugs. Two different labes and questions with square footage and application calculations. Plus all the core. The allowed time to take the test is four hours. I took a little over two and made an 87.

Oh and did I say that you must have a degree or three years field experience working for a pest control company just to be able to take the test? Oh and then get this is the cost:

Test about $250.00 Once you pass $150.00 to get your certificate (renew every year). Then if you start your own business $250.00 for state license (renew every year), plus $10 for your operator card and proof of at least $400K of insurance. Then you can go to the county and get your local license, and if you operate in the city there is the city license. After that you can apply your chemicals.

Oh and if you take a prep course that is $280.00 Ok I am tired now going to rest my brain. LOL
    ! ;)

10. spcfoor

I took the test this morning and passed. Now I just need to go and get my license. And I can start offering my customers a full service lawn package.