Teton Dam collapse

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Finishing up Cadillac Desert. Gets to be a tough read after awhile but I'm determined to finish it. Somehow I totally missed the Teton Dam collapse in 1976. Maybe I was still hungover from High School graduation. Best video I could find was this one:

http://videos.idahostatesman.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1780703&genre_id=2730

Anybody got a good real video or unbelievable pic? I watched the MODERN MARVELS version.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Wow , it collapsed while being filled huh? Pretty wild.

3. The untold story is how lucky they got. If it happens at night thousands get killed plus they avoided the domino effect of downstream dams collapsing due to the water inrush.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

So what makes Caddilac desert a tough read , boring?

5. Lots of names and detail on water projects. Politics of water projects. CA water projects. AZ water projects. No sex...:cry:

I'm enjoying it though. Real eye opener and lays the flavor of where I'm heading.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No sex? ::removes it from library list::

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Cool footage. Any idea why it collapsed? Unlicensed contractors? :laugh: Poor engineering?

8. Two words: Government Project

Seriously it was arrogance. Years of successful DAM building made the CORP think they were unable to ever have a disaster. They overlooked structural issues, poor foundation, filled too fast, ignored warning data. That chapter alone is worth reading.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Bad natural foundation for the Teton dam - never should have been a dam erected there.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Did they have inspectors overlooking things? Or nothing inspected at all?

I took a mini tour of the Hoover damn years ago. Pretty cool how it was built. Not that I advocate all damming, but the project was incredible.