Texas "crawdad" mounds everywhere

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mwhite125, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mwhite125

mwhite125 LawnSite Member

I have a customer who was an acre lot with half of it infested with crawdad's and there mounds are everywhere, which makes my blade life alot
    shorter, Is there anything I can do to get rid of these besides getting 100 kids with bacon and string? :dizzy:

2. I have never heard of this problem before. Can you post some pictures please?

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Imagine, depending on the size of the crawdad, little hard balls of dirt anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" in diameter. Then imagine it piled in hard crusted mounds about 8 inches round x 5 or 6 inches high, in a kind of round top cone shape.

4. mwhite125

your right on target, they range from about an inch or so to over 6 inches high; and all over the place, whats weird is that the lot right beside his has hardly any.. The homeowner has tried diazanon, but I havent a clue on how/what to treat his situation. Anyone?

5. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Is there a drainage problem with this lot, or a source of water close by, or a high water table?

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Have you positively id'd the pest?
    Sounds like mole crickets to me or a species of scarab grub.
    id the critter so you can control them

7. mwhite125

Its for sure crawdad's, crawfish, whatever you want to call them, they look like a mini lobster with 2 claws and everything; Id'ing them here in Texas is very simple....., The water table at this job site is very high, which is the main reason they make it there home, have done some research regarding crawdad control and have found 2 things which I will try, 1:Orthene, and chloride of lime, both of which have to be shot inside the mound...And will probally be done on a regular basis. :help:

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Along the lines of your hundred kids with bacon, just pick up the mound and mow, or run it over with your front wheel and smush it down before you go over it. Any ZTR deck should be low enough when you are mowing that it would knock the mound to pieces before you mow over it. You might could try dropping a mothball into the holes.

Around here, when it gets into the dry summer months, they don't live long anyway, and if you think about it, aren't they just aerating the lawn by making their little holes and tunnels?

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever tried smoking crawdads? Little fellas are hard to keep lit!

Sorry, I always thought that line from the old Beverly Hillbillies TV programme was great.

10. mwhite125

The mounds are the least of my worries, Ill run over them, but my client wants to pay me $$$ to keep the crawdads from returning year after year....I guess no one has encountered this situation here so my best bet is to call Texas A&M extension..Thanks