Texas GL - Who do you use???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 7, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am currently insured with the Hartford for general liablity. It is costing me an arm and a leg. They are telling me that landscapers in Texas, New York and California have to pay more than landscapers in other states because these states are very letigious.

My question is, for Texas LCO's, who do you buy your GL from and how much does it cost? Hartford is basing my premium on payroll...4.2%. I think it's ridiculous. There has got to be a more affordable option for us.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

My insurance is through The Hartford as well. It was somewhere around $900 for the year I believe. I am currently a solo operator so I don't have a payroll per se. I checked into Safeco and another company and I think they were up around $1200-$1300.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Wowee, I guess I shouldn't complain about paying $350.00 for $1,000,000 worth thourgh Allied. I did have a bid of $255.00, but got it too late. I'm a solo operator also.

4. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey DFW Landscaper---

Might try Hotchkiss Ins. Agency. They have an office in Dallas and Houston. The Dallas number is 800.899.3750. I believe they cater to the green industry, as they advertise in the state irrigation assoc. newsletter.
    Work comp., health, property, gen. liability, etc. Don't know what kind of rates they might have. Looks like they are an independent, so should have a couple of carriers to choose from.

Good Luck---

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have American Mercury, Lloyds for liability and workmans comp. Rates are good and have stayed pretty stable for the last 5 years.

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I am with Hotchkiss/Hartford now. They told me the minimum dollar amount for payroll is $31,900 per year. If you pay less than that, they said they wouldn't reduce the premium. So I've caught them in a lie already!

Mowingman, who is your agent & their phone number and how much are you paying per year?

This is driving me nuts. I could have sworn I read a post a year ago by Jim Lewis up in Oregon where he said his insurance premium for general liability has never increased though his annual revenues have grown every year. I was really counting on a fixed cost for GL and now its looking more like another tax.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Lord and Company Insurance Agents Inc.
    940-382-9324 denton number
    972-420-7903 metro number

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We just got the Hartford for WC and its through the payroll so I am delighted with them for that its like 6 per 100 in my state which is where the Hartford is located. But for business insurance I have had a real hard time getting anything good we had Zurich for GL and Progressive for Auto and still do for a few more weeks but we just switched to http://www.hortica-insurance.com/

Business it saved us about 400 a year but for auto it saved us 2000 a year all they do is green industry nothing else hence they had not off the wall opinions of our trade based on nothing.

9. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

gl1200a--
    dang! that your monthly premium for million of GL ??
    ours is $115/mo or $1200/year prepaid !

(w/American Family where we
    we got all our personal and biz vehicles with them too)

10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Mowingman,

Just got off the phone with Lord & Co Insurance. American Mercury doesn't insure pesticide applicators.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper