Texas Inspections

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dlee1996, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dlee1996

dlee1996 LawnSite Member

New Texas rules and regs regarding irrigation systems.

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rule_lib/adoptions/07027344_ado_clean.pdf

How do the guys in Texas feel about these new changes. I think they will be good. It should do away with all the poorly installed systems. I will be a inspector that will check the new installs out. I have seen a few that have been installed in new 350,000 + new homes and they are terrible. It is clearly some of these guys have no clue what they are doing. Lots of 4 rotor specials, or 10' spray heads on the sidewalk spraying to the curb. So they will be spraying about 5' into the street. See rotors on the back fence and spray heads by the porch. Whatever happened to head to head coverage. I understand not ever yard can have that but these yards are pretty square with no trees. They can do that now but once January 2009 starts I believe the part timers will be done. The city I work for will require that they turn in plans prior to installing the system for review. That way we can catch the 4 rotor fix or the sprays between the curb and the sidewalk.

2. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Oh Great, just what they need, inspectors who don't know squat about irrigation or hydraulics or pricing are going to "help" them design systems. Texas irrigators are already liscensed, so I guess now the liscense is just a joke?
    :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Since we've seen some photos of artfully curving sidewalks in some developments, what will be the mandated design technique employed there?

4. dlee1996

dlee1996 LawnSite Member

Pricing will have nothing to do with a inspection. If you have seen some of the installs I have seen you would see why the inspections are needed. And you have to know the hydraulics and about irrigation to do it. So what else do you have. We will not be helping them design the systems we will be checking that it is a properly designed system to the state and local regs.

5. dlee1996

dlee1996 LawnSite Member

The irrigator will have to make a good design for it.

6. nylan8888

So tell me, how much experience do you have in the irrigation industry?
    Do you have all the reference material to decide how far a head with a specific nozzle can throw based on pressure and volume of the supplied water figuring the friction loss going through valves, pipe, fittings etc.?
    Do you have sufficient plant knowledge to know which plants are drought tolerant and which aren't, requiring adjustment of the spacing or nozzle size.

I'm sorry Texas but you are going to so screwed!

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Elaborate, please. If all you plan to write in your inspection reports is "I don't like it" you can expect to get your properly-licensed head handed to you.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Say hello to Jimmy Hoffa.

9. nylan8888

Of course it will affect the price. Do you think you can just add heads or zones without someone incurring the cost? Plus having to submit every design to the city will be major pain and will drive cost through the roof. We install 4-5 systems a week in the average season. Now we will have to wait for every design to be submitted, rejected for some assinine reason, resubmitted and so on, based on the whims of some inspector, all before we can even give the customer a definite price and write a contract.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to $1500 zones, Texas.