Texas Irrigators Exam

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Armadillolawncare, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well after hanging out in here for a while I have decided I like it well enough that I am going to try to get my licience. After being abused for have a signature then not being able to find many recent posts having to actually do with irrigation I decided I wanted in. Whats not to love. I attended the mandatory class and have been studying for the last few weeks. I had no idea their was this much to know about irrigation. I had no idea about hydraulics. I also feel the class is much to short to really cover the topic unless youare already familiar with irrigation which I was not. So tomorrow morning I will leave the house a 4 am to get to Houston for an 8 am test start time. My instructor said most do not pass in the first attempt, hopefully I am not one of those. I want to take it and be done with it. I'll give an update after the test and try to remember some of the questions to post for you guys to pick over when I get back.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Let me know how it goes. Who did you take your 40 hour class from? Did you like it?

Alot of the material taught in the class is "testworthy", but the majority of it is focused on designs. I figure most of the guys in my class will not be designing, and thankfully so.

The best thing you can do is find a reputable irrigator in your area. Offer to go work with him on repairs for a few days for free, just to learn. VALUABLE TIME SPENT!!!

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am not so sure it would be easy to go find a competitor who's going to be willing to train you for free. If someone locally asked me to help them learn for a few days so they could become my competitor, I'd say, "Sorry chump. You wish!"

Better to go ask someone in a city 50-100 miles away. If they aren't your direct competitor, I think they'd be very happy to help.

Also, get to know your local rep. from your irrigation supplier. Take him to lunch (actually, he'll pay) and get to know him. Be sure to get his cell phone too. He'll be invaluable in helping you as you learn irrigation. I can't count the times I called my rep. at Horizon back when I was first learning irrigation. It was nice to have someone to call for help when I got into a sticky situation who wasn't a competitor.

Anyway, best of luck! Hope it goes well!

4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The instructor for my class was Jim Pentacost and he has been very helpful. I was at the library today studying when I realized that I could not remember how to answer a question regarding hydraulics for a system that has 2 zones operating at the same time. I gave him a call at #pm and he told me how to figure it out.
    The question was as follows:
    With section valve 1 and 2 operating simultaneously, what is the pressure loss thru the 90 feet of 1 1/4 PVC from the DC, past valve 1 to section valve 2?

The next follow up question from the same diagram
    With a static pressure of 65 psi what is the pressure at valve 2 with valve 1 operating by itself?

With section valve 1 and 2 operating simultaneously, what is the velocity thru the 4 feet of 1 1/4 pvc between the meter and dc assembly?

I asked him to review all three of these questions out of my study binder and he was happy to do so.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

in the dFW area I would say Ben Fisher was top gun in the classroom..

and if you failed the test he would have you back in his classroom until you passed

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ya you have to think on those questions, but they aren't bad. just have to be able to write everything/draw it out. I overnighted my paperwork in yesterday, hopefully I can take it on FEB 26th which is the next test date.

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I took his class and then took the test a couple weeks after. I think I was the 2nd or 3rd person to finish that day, right around noon. Took my paperwork up and the guy says "You finished?" I said yep, he asks, "You sure you want to be finished?" I'd already gone over everything a couple of times so I told him yes and he says "See you next time then." I chuckled and told him see you then. Go the results a couple weeks later and scored 100% on the Hydraulics section and high 90's on the rest of it. The test is easy if you're prepared and have a decent command of basic math. Fisher's class did a good job of making sure you were prepared.

8. Shawn Perkins

Shawn Perkins LawnSite Member

I also took it with Fisher took the test two weeks later and got 90's on all but one section and that one i got a 87 :( I did study about 30 hours after the class and before the test.TCEQ #'s say only about 17% pass all four sections the first time

Jerry Lewis is also very good a runs a fun class.

Both Fisher and lewis have over a 80 % pass rate From what i have been told.

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

The French love Jerry Lewis

jerrylewis.jpg

jerrylewis.jpg

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I took the test over seven years ago here in Texas.
    At that time there were about 100 people in the examination room.
    I was told by one of the proctor's that fully 75% of the people were re-tests.
    Good luck on your test.