Texas Irrigators License Test

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BanksPower, Jan 11, 2007.

1. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

How is everyone?
    I start my LI basic trainning class 1-15-07. Has anyone taken the Texas test recently. I have been in the landscape maintenance business for several years. I'm sure that alot of my questions will be answered when I start the class.

Is the test as tough as people make it out to be?

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

What would you call an examination that has a 40-60% first time failure rate?
    Personally, I did not find the test difficult however I have several college degrees, one of which in agronomy and fluid dynamics was heavily covered.
    The course should adequately prepare you for the test, just don't freak out when you take it - the test normally lasts for a minimum of six hours.
    I'd recommend you have several good #2 pencils, your irrigation template and a calculator with large buttons (these are easier to use than the tiny pocket ones).

3. BanksPower

Thank you for the response.
    From what I gather the hydraulics portion of the test is most challenging.

4. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

When I took it ten years ago the hydraulics was a bear. I remember I had pressure loss calculation buzzing through my head for a week after the test. Have fun, and oh by the way DO NOT EVER LET YOUR LICENSE EXPIRE, that is unless you are getting out of the business. I did get a 97 on the hydraulics portion though. :drinkup:

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta agree with the fella from Georgetown. I'm up in Wisconsin where they have never heard of a license for irrigators (shows in some of the things I've seen) but I am fixin' to send off for the correspondence courses to get the CEUs. I've had this license since 1983 and I'm sure not going to let it lapse. So take those CEUs and send that fee in.

Hell might even see if there is a way the current boss will send me on the CEU cruise the Gulf Coast Irrigation Assn sponsors.

6. BanksPower

Class starts Monday morning. Thanks for all of great feedback.

I will keep you posted on all of the fun!

7. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

Whose course are you taking?

8. BanksPower

The course is a Basic Irrigation Class required by the State of Texas in order to sit for the exam. I am taking the course Jan. 15 - 19 (8 a.m.- 5 p.m.) in New Braunfels,Tx. given by Multi Services Unlimited (Jim Pentecost) out of San Marcos,Tx. www.multiservices.4t.com
    I found them on the TCEQ webpage. I will be taking the test on Feb.28 in Houston.

Hope that helps...

9. sleeton

sleeton LawnSite Member

i took the course from the same individual about 6 years ago and he prepared me for the test just fine, he also allowed me to come back for a free refresher since it was 2-3 months before i could get signed up for a test due to demand

10. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I do remember taking the refresher when I originally got my license. I think it was the day before the test. Highly recommend spending the extra money to do that.