1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Texas license??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I used the search function and read a bunch. I just want to make sure i am correct. in texas you only have to have a DBA and a license for applying weed and feed, roundup, ect... But not a license for straight fertilizer? Is there any other licenses i am missing? Do you have to have one for doing landscaping? I know in my county i have to have a special license for going to the dump if i go excessively. thanks...
  2. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Hi. I'm in Houston and I just got my DBA isn't this consider a lawncare license already, if not where do I get the seperate license. The one you got for fertilizing did you get it at the same place as your DBA. I would appreciate the info , where abouts are you in Texas btw.
  3. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

1. Fert = No
    2. Landscaping = No
    3. Pesticides = Yes

If you are SOLO you don't have to collect sales tax.
    If you have an employee you have to collect sales tax.
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Post this question in the fertilizer forum. You will have a better chance of it being answered there.

TX Department of Agriculture
    Pesticide Division
    PO BOX 12847
    Austin, TX 78711

Go to the sticky at the top of the pesticide forum. It will give you a link to the website. There are 2 ways to get a license in Texas. At least one of them requires a sucsessful training period of 1 think one year.

As far as Texas goes. You must collect sales tax. here is the exerpt from the web page:
    Landscaping and Lawn Care Services
    May 2003

If you do landscaping or lawn or plant care, you should be collecting sales and use taxes. Landscaping and lawn and plant care services include any work you do to maintain or improve lawns, yards and ornamental plants and trees.

Collecting Tax
    You should collect state tax, plus any local tax (city, county, special purpose district or transit) on the total charge for these services.

Here are some examples that should help you decide which of your services are taxable. Of course, these examples don't cover every situation. If you have a question, call us.

Taxable Services

Planting, transplanting, relocating and removing indoor or outdoor plants
    Identifying, preventing or curing plant diseases
    Pruning, bracing, spraying, fertilizing and watering plants
    Planting, mowing, trimming and edging grass or other ground cover
    Planting and maintaining flower gardens
    Trimming, spraying, and maintaining trees

Nontaxable Services

Mowing pipeline or highway rights-of-way
    Trimming trees away from power lines
    Harvesting, cultivating, mowing and fertilizing farm or forest land
    Mowing cemeteries

You should separately state charges for nontaxable services from charges for taxable services. Otherwise, your total charge will be presumed taxable if the taxable portion is greater than 5 percent. You or your customer may overcome the presumption through documentary evidence that establishes the percentage related to nontaxable services. Your invoices or contracts should clearly identify the services you perform.

and the website:
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

When in doubt, contact the state that you live in.