Texas Licenses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

OK. I'm new to the business. I went down and paid my $20 to take the Texas Department of Agriculture tests (Ornamental and Turf). I passed so I mailed in my check for $40 and another check for $187.50. They cashed both my checks weeks ago.

Finally, I called last week to see where the heck my license is. They are telling me that the computer is fouled up and they have no idea when I'll have my license.

In the mean time, I'm going full guns advertising weed control. I'm told that the State Pest Control Board won't care about my excuse with TDA and that I am still un-licensed.

Anybody know if the SPCB will cut me any slack once I explain all this (assuming they ask me about it before I get my paperwork from TDA)?

Thanks.
    DFW, TX

2. Here I though you did have a state pesticide license!!!!!!!

BUT you do, that is even more scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW ALL LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

It's the law!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Meier,

I am in the same boat. but question is this for structure apps or for yards? You would become licenced by the TDA for yards etc, and SPCB for termite control work for buildings?

If it is the TDA, I called the TDA on friday and they stated to talk to your provided and fillout the form with your SSAN with the expiration date that they have to provide. I have a direct contact number for who to have your provided contact is they have any questions. Just make sure you have your insurance before you apply just to CYA.

The TDA have stated the computer glitch will delay all licences for about 2 months, but your license will still expire 1 year after the day you passed the TDA test.

PM me for the number if you want to....

4. Meier

from DFW

OK. Texas is kinda messed up. When I was studying for the test, it became clear to me that unless a guy wanted to apply restricted use or state limited use pesticides commercially, they are not required to be licensed by the TDA.

Example: In Texas, you can go to Home Depot and buy a quart of 2-4-D without a license. However, if you go to Lesco, you cannot buy a gallon of 2-4-D without a license. 2-4-D is a restricted use pesticide. It can be sold by the quart to unlicensed people, but not by the gallon.

I was really wondering why I would bother testing and getting licensed since the TDA doesn't require a license for most herbicides (MSMA, Confront, Glyphosphate, Manage, etc). 2-4-D is about the only herbicide I would ever want to apply commercially that would require a license from the TDA.

So, I called the TDA and said "If I'm reading these laws & regulations correctly, I'm not required by the TDA to have a license to apply most commercial herbicides...only the restricted use pesticides like 2-4-D require licensing. Do I understand this correctly?"

The guy at the TDA told me that TDA doesn't require a license, but that the State Pest Control Board does require a license. He said that basically, the SPCB will fine you if they catch you pouring boiling water over fire ants without a license. The TDA license is acceptible with the SPCB. You can either license with SPCB or with TDA as far as SPCB is concerned. But TDA told me that the TDA tests are much easier to pass than the SPCB tests. So I took the TDA tests and paid my fees...still waiting.

The whole thing really is messed up. I guess I'm gambling that if the state is too messed up to send me a friggin' piece of paper that says I'm licensed, they're probably too messed up to enforce the law. As far as I'm concerned, I am licensed. They cashed my check several weeks ago. And the check was for a February license...$187.50...had I waited til March, the amount would have been a lot less. They pro-rate the license based on how late in the year you get your license.

Later,
    DFW, TX

5. I hope you read and understand the labels as well as you do the law!!!!

AND FOLLOW THE LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

6. Meier

from DFW

++++Here I though you did have a state pesticide license!!!!!!!

BUT you do, that is even more scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!++++

I even have a BS Degree from Oklahoma State Univeristy in Landscape Contracting.

Is that "scary" enough for you, timturf?

Yes, I read the friggin' labels.

Do you?

DFW, TX

7. I just might get testy!!!!

Reason I thought you might not have a license was from another post you made at @ the same time. Didn't go back to look, but It really implied you didn't read the label and type of question made me wonder If you had a license.

JUST TRYING TO RE ENFORCE THE IMPORTANCE TO EVERBODY THE IMPORTANCE TO READ AND FOLLOW LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Be cool, Jim...... Don't say that...... After all, he is from Texas.

Ahhhh,.......phooey..............

Don't be such an arse, Mr Meier. You stated in a previous thread that you are using Confront with poor results, and when asked you stated that you had not read the label.

If you have a beef with the TDA, take it to them. We're not here to hold your handie. If you don't have a license, you don't have a license. Rather simple to most of us. And there are also many other ignorant college graduates.

But then we're not from TX. We did learn manners and respect.

9. Meier

from DFW

++++Don't be such an arse, Mr Meier. You stated in a previous thread that you are using Confront with poor results, and when asked you stated that you had not read the label.++++

Yes, I had not read the label specifically to see if Confront could be mixed with 2,4 D. It's not as if I hadn't read the label at all. After all, the label for Confront is like 16 pages long. I read it...that doesn't mean I memorized every word of it.

Later,
    DFW, TX

10. Time for this to die quickly