1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Texas Panicum Grass Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tbrom, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tbrom

tbrom LawnSite Member
    from 77833

Does anyone know of a proven way to rid my yard of Texas Panicum Grass? It is choking out my St. Augustine and I do not want to put anything on it which will kill the St. Augustine. It will probably require a pre-emergent but I am not sure which one and when to apply it. By the way, I live in Central Texas.Thanks for any replies!!!
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think you're stuck with it this year. We saw it once in a while in Dallas & San Antonio (ChemLawn Corp, not TruGreen). It's pretty much an annual "field weed". As far as I know, Roundup is the only thing that takes it out. So hit it hard with pre-emergent next spring. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me, cuz maybe a new product has come out that is safe for St. Augustine???
  3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i think you might have to look at pre- em program i sure others will advice but i don't know of anything for st aug