Texas Roll Call

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Dec 24, 2011.

1. BROWNS LAWN CARE

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I found this snake in a customers lawn while running my top dressing machine. I hadn't seen this type of snake before. I caught him in the middle of an earthworm meal.

This last week my crew found two rattle snakes hiding in a customers Oleander. We've only come across a few rattle snakes and one coral snake. I've seen a few rat snakes but most of the time it's the eastern black necked or checkered garter snakes that I see. The black neck has an orange stripe down it's back and is often found sunning it's self in flower beds.

Earth Snake.jpg

IMG_7988.jpg

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I do not know what those are called, but we have then everywhere around here. They are in flower beds, irrigation boxes and even cut some up when edging. I heard they just eat insects so we just let them be. Most of them are only around 5or6" around here.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

There is nothing like a snake to make me scream and dance like a little girl. I can't stand snakes of any size or length. I can handle spiders all day long, but even that little bitty snake would send me running. Not even afraid to admit it.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

How do you guys like Tarantulas? This is a Texas Brown Tarantula. I caught this one at a customers place and brought it back to my house and let it go. At first when I let it go it started to follow me around so I took it in the woods behind by house and let it go.

These tarantulas are very mild mannered and you can pick them up with your bare hands. I scooped one out of a customers pool one day and he started crawling up my arm. He wanted a free ride and really didn't want to be put down.

These critters spend most of their life in burrows hiding from a type of wasp that will sting them and lay it's eggs/larva inside the living tarantula which will hatch out and eat it's host from the inside out. Not a good way to die.

Texas Brown Tarantula.jpg

6. BROWNS LAWN CARE

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

7. Bears Lawn Service

Bears Lawn Service LawnSite Member

hey guys a quick question for yall I'm sure there are other threads about this but I'd rather ask my Texas brothers. I'm in Waco and have been for almost 2 years now is there anywhere online yall buy trimmer string and other parts? My local stores are really hurting my budget. just looking to save a couple bucks.

8. Turf Dawg

mowpart.com
    Texas people also

9. PlantscapeSolutions

Hill Country Outdoor Power is who mowpart is. Depending on what you need and how much shipping will be Russo Power in Chicago and J Thomas in Wisconsin are good places. J Thomas has flat rate shipping and if it's a 911 part next day air is really cheap. I once had them next day air a wheel motor nobody in Austin had and it only cost me about $35 for the shipping. The wheel motor was about $100 less then getting it local.

When the T261 string trimmers were discontinued I had Russo send me two of them and I saved about $60.

10. Turf Dawg

Mowpart is part of Four Brothers Outdoor Power.

There are several places to order parts online but since Mowpart is a sponsor on here and Texas people I usually try them first. I am a small operation so they might not fit everyone's needs.