1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Texas Roll Call

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Checked some today and most of the stolons are dark or dead. Found very few green stolons. I have not seen a SA lawn in the whole town that is better than 80-90% dormant. I have a feeling that the heavy sleet we received that stayed on the ground for a week mixed with 11 & 16 degree mornings in early March took a bad toll.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Scott@CPS

Scott@CPS LawnSite Member

Would any of you guys who are into fertilizer be willing to answer some questions? Id rather not randomly PM people.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hope Landscaping

Hope Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mine seem to be about 60%-75%. Bermuda is just about back.

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Austin there are a lot of crappy looking SA lawns. There is some fungal activity as well. The lawns I top dressed got jump started.

The TNLA Expo is coming back to San Antonio this year. If you need CEU's for irrigation or TDA it's the place to get them. I'm in Buda an hour from SA so I'm liking the short commute this year.

5. Hope Landscaping

I have a couple that have some fun
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Hope Landscaping

I have a couple that have some fungal problems also. I guess its the long winter/late spring that did it. One new account I got this year also has a weed issue and only perfers an organic program. The service company they had before mowed too short, I think that was the root cause. I'm all for organic programs but I think when the weed problem gets too severe the only way to gain control of it is with an initial chemical approach. Then when things are back as they should be use 100% organic maintenance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PlantscapeSolutions

Going into mid October we cut lawns down from 3.5-3.75 to 3.0-2.75. Short in the winter helps with air movement and keeps the soil from staying wet for prolonged periods. Shorter grass tends to have less weed and fungal issues. it's also a good way to keep the thatch layer in check every year.

It's also a way to squeeze in more mows when the lawns growth rate has tapered off but that's the main reason for doing it. If you use this logic with customers you can get more late season mowing work. It's hard to drop the height much once you get into the layer made up of tough runners and not tender new growth. We usually need 2-3 mows to lower the height .25-.5" at a time.

8. Hope Landscaping

What is the type grass do you have majority of? SA or Bermuda?

9. PlantscapeSolutions

All of the new construction in the Austin area is Bermuda or Zoysia if it's higher end. Probably around 2008 rules were past where developers could no longer use St. Augustine. Overall it's probably 75% SA at this point.

10. Hope Landscaping

Whats the reason behind not allowing Sa?
    Posted via Mobile Device