Texas Roll Call

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Dec 24, 2011.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Here is Whittlesey's new machine for dying mulch. They said it would help reduce the moisture content of the mulch. Their old machine was generating mulch that weighed 50 lbs a bag and the mulch I picked up today seemed to be about 35 lbs a bag.

I was towing 300 bags of mulch and I could tell there was a major difference.

IMG_7082.jpg

2. PlantscapeSolutions

I saw the first Masked Chafer of the season flying in my garage today. Grubs are going to be hell this year with the adults already being active this early.

For you Austin guys I would recommend avoiding a James Kerby of Kerby Development. We started with late payments and then got no payments at all. Received one partial payment after a month of getting the check is in the mail and now with a near $2000 balance we're getting the "we're going to use another service speech".

3. PlantscapeSolutions

As of 10:30 this morning we have 2" of rain in Buda. How are the rest of you doing with rain amounts?

4. whaler's Mow-Town

whaler's Mow-Town LawnSite Member

We have been getting our fair share down here but I think we got more in the area of a half inch last nite but it has been lighty raining/drizziling for the last 30 hours or more. I'll take it. We are going to have a bonanza spring and I was already swamped with work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PlantscapeSolutions

We got another 2.75" last night and best of all Lake Travis finally has some inflow. The report says by tomorrow the elevation could be 638'. I love to see the lake get in the 640's again and keep going up. We are now above 635' so we should slide back one notch on the watering restrictions. We're not out of the woods yet we're making progress.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see yall are getting some rain. Looks like its gunna be a busy spring.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I hope y'all keep on getting some rain down there this spring. We got around 5.25" last night and today. Luckily we missed the hail in my area but not too far away they got almost golf ball sized. The weeds are going crazy with new people calling wanting prices on spraying, Bermuda already needs cutting and I have more installs and bids to give out. Last year about wiped me out and now this year I cannot get everything done.

I took my irrigators exam on March 9th so y'all keep your fingers crossed for me. I would love in the next couple of years to only do treatments, irrigation and maybe 2 days of the year round paying commercials maintenance contracts.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We got about 5" where I live in Granbury last night. It's still really soggy this evening. Oh the joys of having so much to do and not enough time to get it all done!

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The weather keeps kicking my butt!!!!!!!

I found out today that I passed my irrigators exam
    B F 90
    Design 83
    Hydro 83
    Instal 94

Glad that is done with. Now I just have a lot of learning to do.

10. PlantscapeSolutions

I hope everyone is doing well. Here in Austin I am just blown away by how things are going. I picked up one house that will be about $10,000 a year and a second one that will be at least $6000 a year. I've got to get some pics of the $6000 a year job. The house is 8,000 square feet and has a really formal landscape that is really going to be a challenge to maintain.