Texas sales tax?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by millenium_123, Jan 6, 2011.

1. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys in Texas charge sales tax? My accountant is after me about it, but I really dont want the hassle.:hammerhead:

2. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

State Comprtoller contacted me months ago, wanted to know why I wasn't charging tax. I told them I don't sale anything, he said labor is taxable:mad:

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You have to. I never thought I had to but got a call from the state comptroller criminal investigative division because someone reported that I wasn't charging sales tax. Apparently I owe for two years back. If I do not pay it is a felony. So either charge it or do everything in cash.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

You guys have to charge individuals sales tax? Here we only have to charge businesses, not individual customers. So sales tax is only collected from commercial accounts.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Have for years. What is funny is the things you are supposed to charge tax for and what is not taxable. Like if you cut limbs off a tree that is not taxable but if you haul them off then that is taxable. If yo build a retaining wall for water erosion than that is not taxable but if you build a retaining wall for looks than that is taxable, ect.....

Another thing you may not know is if get your Texas Sales and use Permit and buy plants wholesale, or even retail, and deliver and plant them you are supposed to have a Texas Nursery and Floral Permit.

6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Taxable Services
    May 2003

If you operate a service business in Texas, you may be required to collect sales tax.

Real property services
    Extermination and pest control, garbage and other waste collection or removal, janitorial and custodial services (including parking lot sweeping or cleaning), landscaping and lawn maintenance (including tree surgery and plant leasing), and surveying.

7. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

Yup been collecting for the past 8 years.

8. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Yes, for almost 20 years.

Hassle??? Just wait until the comptroller finds out your not paying it!!!!

You need to listen to your cpa.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

It's ok, don't worry about the hassle, the Texas State Comptroller will do the work of figuring up your amounts owed, fines and late penalties while you are sitting there trying to find somebody to buy your equipment to pay them. I mean, you DO know the state of Texas has been policing this board for a while now and using it to find people that are stupid enough to openly admit to not collecting and remitting their sales tax, AND put their business name in their signature information.