Texas weed in my bermuda, identify please...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landcruiser, May 18, 2005.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I live in the Dallas, Tx area and have a serious infestation of this weed in my bermuda grass. Look at the pic below and give your opinion on what it is. It has a very bitter smell when mowed if that helps... I just recently got my private applicators license so I can buy regulated products to spray weeds in my own yard. I'm very inexperienced but wanting to learn to keep my yard as nice as possible.

mysteryweed.jpg

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Looks like wild carrot, at least that's what I've been calling it. Whatever it is, it's a broadleaf weed. Hit it with 2, 4-D and it will die. It's pretty easy to kill.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

3. landcruiser

from Tx

I'm just looking for suggestions. I took a sample of it to a seminar I went to put on by Lesco (for credits toward my license). I was told there it was a member of the "dillweed" family but noone acted real positive. They assured me a product like Trimec would kill it but I am wondering how they were so confident of that if they weren't sure what it is. It has a very bitter smell when mowing. It is so strong and bitter that it can be overrides the fresh green lawn smell I get when I'm mowing my bermuda. It is VERY thick in my bermuda and seems to be getting worse.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Did you recently re-seed or overseed? Where is it coming from?

5. landcruiser

from Tx

Neither, I bought the house 4 years ago and it was built in 1985. I have done lots of fertilizing and watering and the yard is much better than when I got it but this weed is getting as healthy and dominant as my bermuda.

6. marko

I saw your trimec post so check that out. Another option after this is ID'd would be to use roundup once your bermuda is dormant. That is a ways off though. I would calibrate your sprayer and try out the Trimec.

7. landcruiser

from Tx

Thanks Marko. It is supposed to by less than 85 degree here in the Dallas area this weekend. I am going to play with my sprayer to figure out how many gallons it outputs/min. Then, mow my yard friday and start spraying Trimec Sat. morning. It is wise to avoid the St. Augustine and what little tall Kentucky Fescue I have isn't it?

8. marko

I am unsure about St. Augustine. Ask Ric or DFW. The more weed that is present, the better chance of coverage you will get. If you mow friday, I would wait and spray the following Thursday. Idealy, you want the weeds as "big" as possible, spray, let sit for 2 - 4 days, then mow. This gives the herbicide a chance to get into the plant and translocated.

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

2, 4-D is so cheap and it's an easy kill for wild carrot.

DON"T risk spraying your bermuda with Round-Up in the winter. You simply can't be sure whether it's dormant. I know a guy (ahem) who sprayed Round Up on poa annua on a customers lawn IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY . . .

He hope it'll fill in this season before his contract expires . . .

10. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

And never use MSMA on St. Aug