TG not putting down pre-m?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by indyturf, Mar 20, 2006.

1. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I got another TG customer today! TG had been out earlier today and did about 1/2 the lawn before the homeowner stopped them. when I got there I checked the lawn to see what TG had done, it looked like they had spread 46-0-0 to me! I asked the homeowner if they put any pre-m down, he said the applicator said they do that in the next application? sounds shady to me.. but not surprising!

2. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Not sure about the turf type up there, but around here on fescue they put 46-0-0 down with about a .25 rate of liquid pre em. Sometimes broad leaf weed control depending on how much revenue was produced the month before. I think it was part of the plan to have a fescue lawn full of weeds so the customer would almost have to have the lawn over seeded in the fall. The seed is cheaper then the chemicals anyhow. I worked there for 4 years doing the comm. props. and only thing I really learned was how to lose a customer after 7-10 months.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

this is cool season blue/rye mix. the lawn was full of weeds and TG has been taking care of it for 3 years.he called me because TG calls him every other week trying to sell him something. looks like they don't want to spend too much $ on the 1st app just in-case the customer cancels, then come back in a month and put pre-m down?

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

They do it that way here, too.

I'm sure it has more to do with the chemical cost vs cancellation rate than it does with sound agronomic practices.

Actually, if they were using a decent fertilizer for this time of year and following up with a full season rate of Dimension (mixed with BLWC and fert)on Round 2 - they would be providing a pretty decent product for their customers.

Betcha they're not.....

5. Koster Landscape

Koster Landscape LawnSite Member

That doesn't surprise me a bit with that crowd. It's really funny to have people tell me , TG has been treating their yard for 3 years , when it is full of wild garlic and onions!!! I laugh in their face.

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When we put down the weed and feed the weeds die and the lawn stays green. Thick dark green. Hose sprayer works great.

7. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Ha....I was talking this subject to myself today and a customer I took from TG. They go out early (Im in Michigan and they have been out for a week at least) and they apply what they call a high nitrogen fert....which is probably 34-0-6 or 33-0-8, and then they will be back in three weeks or four weeks with 25 something with whatever CG control they are using this year.

I know for a fact they apply at a minimum of .75 N pr M and what happens is when they come back in a fe weeks to a month most of that first app fert is still unused and in theory you just got 1.5 lbs of N on your lawn before it came out of dormancy.

Yeah....thats what turf needs. High N in spring. They even have you guys fooled into thinking you need to apply high N in fall when you should be applying high K. :rolleyes: because they are too cheap to replace their stock with the right product and they use whats available. So now everyones schooled to think High N in fall which is Bullcrap.

These people are thieves, crooks, charletons, liars, and have NO integrity whatsoever. I cant see how they sleep at night especially since their big motto is "Honor God in all we Do"

Would god sell some old lady on a fixed income a 125 dollar grub contol when she has clay soil and theres not a grub for miles?

I waste NO time telling people their practices and pointing out why they've been being ripped off for years if they use tgcl.

8. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly what they do and the program is crap. Period.

When do lawns come out of dormancy IE soil reaches 55 degrees vs when does Crab germinate in Missouri?

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Well, in this area its now late March (1st day of Spring) and they've been out since early February.

I'm not defending their program. Just saying that something similar could be done properly with good results.

Every year is different, we got 3" of snow or better today.

Generally speaking, I'm happy to have PEs like Barricade applied by the end of March - Dimension by mid-May.

You can do what you want in Michigan, Killswitch. I know for a fact you don't have near the crabgrass pressure that we do here. Have some fun this year and good luck.....

10. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a letter form tg spring treatment only 29.95. I have a small front yard only 6k my back lawn is two acres it has a privacy fence I geuss they didn't do their research tooweel.