1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TGCL & Brown

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ceaman, Apr 2, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a woman who called me up this week asking for a bid for mowing. She was 80yo and said that chemlawn takes care of her feritlizing and weeds. I look at the yard and it looks dead! All of the yards in the neighborhood are greening up, and hers keeps looking worse. Is this a cause of something tgcl does or is there another problem?
  2. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

Yeah...Chemlawn sucks. Of course her lawn is dead. Odds are, they came out two or three times to do the same application.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem here in the midwest is the over fertilization of turf in the spring (fast release N being the worst). This focuses all the plants energies to shoot production and little storage for the obvious drought and high heat of July and August. So the grass dies or most of it.

4. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

The grass plant possesses the "life-saving" ability to go dormant during periods of heat, drought, and environmentally unfavorable conditions. This will occur even if the root to shoot ratio is tipped to the over production of shoot growth (at the expense of root growth) through "high Nitrogen stimulation".

It is irresponsible on your part to simply blame Chemlawn.

Is there even the slightest evidence of insect activity?

Or disease?

Or poor cultural habits? (perhaps the kid next door is scalping the lawn because his old man is making him mow some eighty year womans lawn)

Ghosted lawns won't die because of them.

Neither will skipped back yards.

Or the ones where the guy is running.........................I saw that with my own eyes!........(it was great!)

But, especially the ones where the guy does 50 thousand squares with one bag that covers 12 thousand.

Becareful if you're going around telling people that...............................some of us know what's going on. (that's what the "eye-rolling" is all about.)
  5. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I havent told anyone anything.... I was asking a question but stating all the facts that I know.
  6. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

And that is a good thing.

One can't ask too many questions.

Don't take it personally.............................I wasn't talking to you directly.
  7. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Is the yard severly compacted? I've seen lawns green up very slowly when they are compacted. Is the soil really moist? A moist soil warms slower than a well drained soil and will affect the green-up rate in spring. Was the lawn really lush and mowed really long last fall. All this old growth could be shading the soil and preventing the warming of the soil. Are you in an area that had a lot of snow cover this late winter/early spring? With a lush/long turf and snow cover it could be snow mold. If it is snow mold it should reciver on its own. Good luck!

8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

TGCL screwed me over, had a really good account that I cut and then the customer calls and says they won't be needing me until late May-June cause TGCL came and sprayed. The lawn was dead for a LONG time and it lost me money. I was p*****.

9. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i t is a bit long now but I dont know if it was mowed high or not. It is till brown 2 weeks later and the neighbors are ready to mow. the ground may be compacted and need aereation but has great drainage.
  10. That's funny Garry.

I love to drive by lawns that are dead or dormant to early due to over "N" from TGCL durring the heat of the Summer when my timely lawns are fed what they should have, not what some dumb dumb applicator form TGCL decides it is time to apply 46% urea and the grass grows fast enough to hide the weeds they are not killing.

You can't tell us it is not them when their sun faded lawn app sign are still in the lawn.

Their now 7 step over fert program here is a joke, and they know it can be done in 4 apps, but they are a "merketing" company not a lawn acre company.

What you wrote can be true, but TGCL is exempt from all theroy.

Over "N" will burn a lawn faster than you can type.