Thaching, Airateing, Re-seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coffeecraver, Aug 16, 2004.

?

Charge by the foot or by the hour?

Poll closed Aug 19, 2004.
  1. I charge by the sq ft

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. I need to charge by the hour

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Wats it worth?

:)

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i charge by the sq ft

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Neither I charge by what I feel I neeed to do the job properly, and by the way I always dethatch the lawn for them have not had much luck adding more thatch. lol

Mac

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

same here. And we've always called it the same thing here... thatching, even thuogh it's technically de-thatching. I guess it became easier to say over the decades...
    what about thatch harvesting?
    or thatch picking?:)

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

want to get technical? it's called power raking. if you are cleaning the surface, you ARE NOT effecting the thatch layer

6. fga

I never understood how for a maintenace job, people charge by the sqft.? do you actually measure each job your going to do? i thatch alot of houses (minimum 60), i would go nuts measuring for each one. and your accounts i'm sure are much bigger.
    here we have a formula for most thatching jobs, this is for my current customers, we double the price the price of their monthly service (weekly accounts), or like i said above, charge what we feel its worth if there are special conditions.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

HA! if you want to get technical I use a lesco renovator and it does remove the "thatch" cleaning the surface is lawn vacuming,or a waste of time.
    Mac:D

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

there you go mac, i knew u had it right. as for you my man fga.....i cannot price power raking, re seeding jobs dependent upon the lawn mowing price. i charge: thatching - $45 per k. thatching/ powerseeding-- $85 per k. i do mostly people who call my add.

9. fga

bob, that price sounds kind of low. I think you can get more.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, it's like this. hardly anyone gets only thatching. so my basic service is power raking, and seeding. a 3k lot would cost them $255. it takes me and one man about 35 minutes to do, and about $17 worth of seed. i toss in fert also. so add $5 for the fert. how much do you think i could get? consider this.......my competitors will do the same job for $125