1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thank God! Great new Resi contract today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, May 29, 2003.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was asked to do a bid on a big residential property (3 acres, not all grass) in a very upscale neighborhood. Average price on homes is $700K. I currently do not have any homes in this neighborhood, but I've been passing out fliers there twice a year for 3 years now. I've got some one time clean up jobs, some mulch jobs, and a few "will you cut for me while I'm on vacation?", but no contracted annual maintenance contracts. Those are what I'm after.

I really had a hard time on the bid. I kept wanting to bid low to make sure I got the job, cuz there are 3 LCO's I've SEEN myself in that neighborhood, very competitive! Probably even more that I have not seen.

I decided to take my own advice, ;) and bid it for what it would take for me to really make good money on the job. I figured if I got the job I'd be happy and if I didn't get it I would nor be losing anything.

Well I bid at $472.00 per month for 12 consecutive months. This includes mow, edge, trim and blow every week (max 40 cuts here in Virginia), all fertilizing-6 apps, trim all shrubs as needed, weed control in grass and beds, aerate and over seed in fall, and leaf cleanup in the fall (HUGE job, lot's of trees)

I did not include lime, which it will need yearly if it's anything like all my other accounts. I also left off mulching. I did the mulch for them last spring and it was 50 yards! I got $3080.00 for that, you do the math!!!

This is a great price for me, but they will be getting PREMIUM lawn care.

I'm very happy. This is a big boost for my budget, almost $500 more in income every month, year round.

Don't ever bid a job low just to get it. Bid what it's worth to you and stick to your guns.

God bless you guy's.
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

sweet getting blessed is sweet :cool:
  3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job, man.

I landed a great one today too! This guy called me using a door hanger we passed out two months ago & said the gal that has been cutting his lawn last year quit showing up, never called him & never sent him a letter. Nice man, too.

I'm doing 30 yards of mulch for him (he's paying 50% of that up front), installing gravel driveway, and doing weekly cuts. He told me right off the bat, "she was charging me $35 to mow." I told him up front that I am more expensive and my rate would be $45, but also added that he would never have to worry about me not showing up.

The gal cutting his property before was definitely underbid at $35 and I suspect that's why she just started no-showing. Very unprofessional way to handle it on her part though.

Like you said, stick by your guns.

Sweet account for me