Thank God I have a crew instead of being solo!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, May 7, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the deal folks - I contemplated staying solo this year. But after reading about the "what if's" that would put a solo down, I started the year with a crew. This was tough to do because I thought about all the money I could save by being solo.

The what if happened to me tonight. I am a single father of a 3 year old. I just got back from the hospital with my son because he broke both bones in his forearm(radius and ulna). Needless to say, my son needs me and it would be impossible to run my business being solo. This week is booked with work. Big jobs that pay the bills outside of the normal lawn service. Mt foreman is going to run the show this week and so I can be where I belong, with my son.

My business will continue to run and bring in the revenue despite my abstinence this week.

For those contemplating hiring, I highly recommend it.

You never know when the "what if's" knock on your door.

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've debated the merits of staying solo or expanding to include one or more crews. Your story solidifies my intention to expand. We all have stuff that happens in our lives that can keep us from keeping all the balls in the air. A good crew can help.

Thanks for sharing this.
  3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I'm glad its going to work out for you.. Hope your son has a speedy recovery.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know, but no wife or children here.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You're right... but what if your foreman breaks his leg today on the way to work???

Or what if the truck blows the front tire and crashes, with your whole crew ending up in the hospital.

It's nice to have something to fall back on, but at the same point, you can't cover yourself for all the "what ifs" in life.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've been saying this for years on LS...glad to see cya is helping out kc.:waving:
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For sure you can't Jeremy. can help to minimize some of them though.
  8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can say much the same about the crew thing. I used a crew for the first time this year and have not looked back since. It can be a little nerve racking at times, but over all I keep asking myself, "self, why didn't you do this years ago?!" You can never plan for everything but thats just life. good luck with your sons arm KC, hope it heals quick! Jeff
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah and you might drown if you wear your seatbelt and you drive into a lake, but 99.97% of the time a seatbelt is gonna save you a lot of healing time. Having a crew is the same. If you do a good job of hiring and training, they will be a net asset.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad things are going to work out for you and I hope your son has a speedy recovery!