Thank you SCRUB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kickin sum grass, Mar 9, 2003.

1. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had a nice email today. We have a PITA customer who has a PITA lawn. it is 12000 sq st with a small front that has a bed in the middle and a smll tree not to far away from that. in the back the is a big play set not far from the house and bout 8 or 9 trees tossed around in it. This is a mulched landscape and everything has to be so so when joob cpmlete.

The owner emailed me today to tell me he had someone to cut and trim for 20 bucks and that also included (the 20 bucks per cut) lawn treatments for the year.

#1 I am glad to see someone take it off my hands.
    #2 I am gonna laugh at the homeowner when he gits a real **** job from this guy.
    #3 I am gonna laugh at the scrub when the guy hounds him to death bout all the things not being done right.

There is no way for somone to mow and trim and also do treatments for 20 buck a cut.

I replyed to them saying I understood they wanted to save money and if things didn't work out I would restart there services for a new customer fee. Actually it will be double for them.

Am I far off thinking this scrub is gonna be gone as soon as the temp hit 90 degrees?

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what'll happen. It's happened to me on more than a few occaisions. It's such a great feeling telling those customers that you'd love to take then back BUT they have to be re-added at the current market pricing - a little of their own medicine! They can't stand to think that their greed to save a penny is now gonna cost them a thousand times more than that a week. Good luck !!!

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get ready to Make double Your Money.:blob3:

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody has a different situation, but if you don't need that lawn I wouldn't even go back for twice the $$$. The people will be all frustrated that they made a mistake and now have to pay 2x what they used to for the same job. They will hound you relentlesly over everything, more than they did in the past.

5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

Well if you are like me and lawns are harder to come by in our town population of 50k and there are alot more mowing companys then needed here. So when one of my old customers want to come back I ussually take them with only upping the pricing alittle bit.

6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

My philosophy is once they dump me, that's it - I'll never take them back.

I want good solid customers that I can depend on.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I also have a policy of not letting someone fire me twice. I do good work at a good price and am 100% reliable. If they don't like that, then, to quote famed movie criminal Goldmember. "well, then there is no pleasing you"

It's always amazed me how many people who make $30-$40/hour sitting in a climate controlled office, talking on the phone, taking no risk, goofing off, actually working maybe 4 hours out of the day.....begrudge simlar pay to someone who works hard, takes the risks, does work all day, invests his money in the business, and doesn't make a dime for work not performed.

My last corporate job and my current wife's are full of these types. They could not show up for a month and would hardly be missed. Yet lord help you if you want $30/mow to cut their lawn 25 times a week.

there are many greatfull, generous customers, but a shockingly high number of deadbeats, cheapskates, and idiots who have no concept of the costs of providing a service at someone's home.