1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thanks anyway

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Mar 31, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had an older woman in a wheel chair that I had worked for for a few years. She wasn't an especially profitable customer, but she was right across the street from another customer and I was doing her lawn because of the proximity. I tried to dump her last year when I had to downsize when my partner quit. She pretty much begged me to do her lawn again, went on about being a loyal customer, etc. And I gave in because I was right there mowing anyway, she had been a long time customer, and I'm a sucker for a sob story.

So, I hadn't heard from her yet this spring and I called to see if she was coming back or not. I left a nice message and she called back today. She told me she was getting some senior services place in town to cut her lawn because my rates were higher and I wouldn't cut her every 3 weeks like she asked. But that I had done a great job and thanks anyway.

I'm not sad she's gone, I'm sure I can replace the spot easily. I wanted to get rid of her last year. But it kinda strikes me funny because she was so adament last year about me taking her back and her being a loyal customer. I guess that only goes so far when you can get someone cheaper, eh?

;) ;) :confused:
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe she is having financial problems due to illness, etc and can no longer afford you not your fault or hers. you just never know.
  3. mtdman

I have no problem with that. It's just kinda funny that when I'm concerned about profits and my income, getting the best paying jobs, she asked to stay on as a loyal long time customer. But when the situation is reversed, it's all about the bottom line for her. People seem to think that we can be flexible with income, when in fact we have the same problems and worries that any other person has when it comes to earning/spending money. And we should remember why we do this, to make a living and bring home money to pay our bills.

Which just goes to show that in business being a nice guy gets you nowhere. And I'll remember this the next time I'm in that situation.
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

She was just being a woman. You can't dump her, she's gotta dump you.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer who qualified for some assistance program part way through last season. If I got her the invoice before the end of the month, she could submit it to some agency for payment. The agency didn't cover it all, but most of it. This customer appears to be on a very short string. She qualified, so she took advantage of the agency's offer.

I was charging her $35/cut, when she should have been paying $45 -- I was already giving her a break. I've dropped her this season. I hated to do it, but I couldn't charge her the $45 with a clear conscience. She has two grandsons living close by, both in high school, and she has a JD 170 tractor, with bagger. She told me the two boys couldn't do the mowing because they were working out for football. Phooooooy! When will kids learn to care for their grandparents by spending an hour to mow their lawn? When she was upset by my letter, I felt badly, but told her to "get those boys over here, have them use your tractor." I was the one upset when she defended them - "...they have to lift weights." Hogwash!!!
  6. mtdman

LOL! No kidding.