Thanks Eric, doubles are awesome

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Mar 23, 2001.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Put doubles on my 335 JD tractor today. Sounds like a helicopter, cuts much better, slings clippings like crazy. Only one problem, it does cause some blow-out at the front of the deck, not bad now, but when it gets dry and dusty I may have to go back to singles. The doubles don't seem to bother the 20hp. Kawi. 54' deck at all. As soon as my m665 needs the blades sharpened I'm gonna put'em on it too.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good deal Lee. The first doubles I put on was on a 332 JD diesel 50" and I've never went back to singles. :)
    What is a 335? It must be a newer model.

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Eric the 335 is a garden tractor. 20hp. Kawi., hydro, power steerinp, hydro deck lift, all the goodies. It's a 2000 model, its a little lighter built than the 400 series like your 430. I wound up using it to finish a job today. I bogged down the m665 and couldn't get it out alone. I called for help and while I was waiting on the cavalry, which turned out to be a couple hours, I used the 335. Found out that a stuck ztr is MUCH harder to get out than a tractor mower.

4. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I learned from Eric about the "blowout". Use blades with less lift. Try one Gator blade with a regular or high lift.
    The regular Gator doesn't have as much lift.

5. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Hey lee
    when you go to put double blades on
    your m665, tell me how you are going
    to do it. I am running two of them, and really
    want to run double blades but the bottom blade
    will not be centered because the hole is to
    big. and I am afraid that it will slip off
    center and cause damage to the spindles..
    Let me know, or if Eric has any suggestions
    please feel free to respond..thanks

6. Eric ELM

If your JD is like my 430, it has a 3/4" hole and it slips over a piece that hangs down about 1/4" and uses a 5/8" bolt. Get a blade with a 5/8" hole for the bottom. There are a lot of blades out there with a 5/8" hole. I think Exmark uses them, I know Dixie Chopper uses them. Just find one the same length as what you have. I just throw a DC blade on the bottom of the JD if I ever use it for mowing which is very rare.

Does that answer your question? :)
    Eric

7. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Thank Eric, for the information
    Problem solved...........

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I did doubles on all of my mowers, and it works great, thanks for the tip.

9. Willie Holmes

Willie Holmes LawnSite Member

I have a Dixie Chopper 2200xw 60" cut. I want to use double
    blades. Do you put the gator blade, which I use now, on the bottom or top. Love my Chopper! Just a home owner that mows my yard, 3 acres, and my mother's.

10. Eric ELM

I run the gator on the bottom, some have them on top. Either way it will work. I take the 1/2" spacer off which ends up raising the blades up 1/4" so the blades are not hanging down below the deck. Try them both ways. I would suggest using a regular lift and a Gator. You will like the cut and it seems to stripe better also. Also make sure your deck is 1/4" lower in the front than the back for a better cut and stripes.

You mentioned you are are homeowner. If you haven't seen my tips on maintenance for you DC, check them out on my website. They should help you keep it in top shape. Good Luck :)