Thanks everyone - wish me luck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pooners, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Pooners

Pooners LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

As of this Thursday...I will be dumping the cushy sales job (to much travel), dropping the PT from PT-LMOC and jumping in with both feet to the lawn business. I have learned a majority of what I know about this business from the folks on Lawnsite and wanted to say... Thanks ... for your willingness to share with us newbies. I will try and share any interesting stumbles or successes that I may have as I go along in hopes that I can repay your continued kindness. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming season!!!!

[Edited by Pooners on 02-27-2001 at 06:19 AM]
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to you! You are so very fortunate to have this advice so early in the game. I often wish I had something like this when I started. You are way ahead of the game.

The real test will be this winter. If you are in a temperate climate where it doesn't snow too much, be sure to try to land as many year-round accounts as possible. When I first began, I offered potential clients two prices. One (lower) if they signed up for our year-round program and a higher price for seasonal. You'd be surprised how many people went with the year-round price just because it saved them $15 a month.

Anyway, best of luck to you! It's always exciting to hear someone go from being emloyed to being self-employed!
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats to you!! :)

You are going to enjoy the challenge and rewards of the comming season. Keep us posted as you learn.

P.S. Try not to make the same mistake I did. Don't underbid on spring cleanups. My first one was a learning experience I didn't forget. WAY underpriced a cleanup. Boy did I learn the hard way. 7 Hours for $75. With your part time experience you have knowledge, but don't underprice jobs to get business because your starting out fulltime. Make sure you get paid nicely or walk away.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Good point! I almost forgot about that, it's been a while. I gotcha beat though. One of my first jobs I spent 12 hours plus had to hire a guy to help me for 4 hours all to earn $60 plus a pair of Nike Shoes. Man did I ever regret that!

May be a good idea to bid a few jobs by the hour at first if you are not 100% sure how long they'll take you.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

At least you had nice shoes while you were riding around in your old transportation. lol :)

Pooners, we like bad old stories. but you don't need to contribute. Do us all a favor and don't learn the bad stuff from us. haha.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Best Wishes on your new venture. I hope all goes well for you. Just an FYI: When your shearing shrubbery, if you use an electric trimmer, bring lots of electrical tape. I went through about a roll on my first day.

Good Luck!
  7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Good luck, I envy you. Hopefully I will be in you'r shoes this year or next....
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck bud.Of course we all know it a little luck and the rest is the man.Also need some looking after from above.
  9. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck to you!
    I got started late in the season last year, (July 10, 2000), but it worked out o.k.
    The people at this forum helped tremendously.
    Like previous poster said, try and pick up as many annual accounts as possible, the first winter can be tough,(was for me anyway).
    You are probably feeling a little nervous about revenue and picking up sufficient business a.s.a.p. but at the same time excited to be doing your thing and taking the plunge.
    Just wait till you start seeing your weekly revenue's creeping up, up, up.
    Hope everything works out great for you.
  10. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I'm on the line trying to decide to jump in full time or stay part time. What services are you offering? What kind of equipment are you using? What kind of customer base do you have from last season? Congrats on your decision! Have a great year!