"Thanks for not buying a Bobcat!"

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Oct 4, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I told one of my cousins today after he told me why he bought a new Deere 328 with pilot controls.
    He tried a Case 450 and hated it with a passion. It was tippy, the cab felt like sitting in a dwarf sh*tter and it was loud. He couldn't get used to the H pattern and it wasn't available as Vertical Path, and to top it off, the dealership sent it out on demo with no added counterweights, d-uh, if you send a machine out on a farm that you know damn well is going to be used for loading wet corn silage, add them on. Idiots.

He liked the Deere better, more power in the lift and wider cab and better visibility.

The depressing thing is, he never considered a Cat 272C, he wasn't even aware of the fact that there was a 90 hp Cat skid steer, a part of me almost died, another lost soul wandering away from the Church Of Cat.

Funny thing, he tried out my Cat on the job, first thing he says is: "holy sh*t, this thing is quiet inside the cab, you can just barely hear the engine, and no hydraulic noise".

So I gave him the 10 cent tour, showed him the radiator design, he said right away that Cat's is the best, no double stacking and the engine bay is easier to get inside of, the sight lines to the tracks were better compared to the non-existent view lines of the Deere.

So, now he secretly wants a Cat, but the 30 day money back guarantee has also expired on the Deere.

Tough. :laugh:

But, thanks for not buying a Bobcat.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Who sent him a demo Case machine ? Parker Pacific ?

You better be like a Jehovah Witness and start going door to door preaching your Cat religion :laugh:

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Parker sent it out. Brandt sold the Deere, and my cousin lost the the key, so the rep showed up at the farm PDQ after a brief text message.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I imagine Brandt tractor got a machine to you cousin right away before he even thought about phoning Finnings.

5. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of counter weights. How do you determine if they are needed or not? Is that wet corn silage Heavier than dirt?

6. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

If the arse end of your machine is coming off the ground when you try to lift. You need counterweights.

7. ccstrebe

Since I'm such a rookie, wouldn't that mean that you are going over the capacity of the machine?

8. CAT powered

Yes that means you are exceeding the ROC of the machine.

9. ccstrebe

So why have counter weights if you are exceeding the limits?

10. CAT powered

You're exceeding the rollover capacity. If you add counterweights you increase the rollover capacity of the machine.