1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thanks for not calling me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We arrive at a long time customers house yesterday to do the lawn. Lawn has been aerated, new trees and landscaping have been done.

These people know that we offer all of these services.

Should I ask them about it, or shrug it off?

I have had a "good" relationship with them in the past.

It just kind of ticked me off.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep going on about your business. This has happened to me before, regarding the landscape installation. Sometimes, people just go on a referal, and don't even think twice about it. When I approached a customers backyard, and there was this brand new berm sitting there, I said "Wow". However, it did look good, was well done, and I was rather busy at the time, and know that I probably couldn't have got that whole thing installed in such a short time, anyway. I just asked who did it, and complimented the customers on it, reassuring them that it was functional, and looked great. If you come across confrontational to the customer, and ask them why they didn't call you, you are just putting them on the spot, and they will just simply say something like. "We didn't know you were able to do that" or "We thought you were too busy", or something like. "It was a friend of a friend that did it."
    Never give the appearance that you are hurting or begging for work. Just play it as "Oh well!"
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Had the same thing happen to me with aerations this year. Ticks me off as well. I never said anything about it, I tried to shrug it off.
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Runner.

I always like your advice.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

For some reason I get very offended when that happens to me. A couple of months ago I pulled up to an account I had been servicing for 6 months and another landscaping was currently installing new mulch, river jack and shrubs. I assume they gave such a cheap price the homeowners didnt even want to ask me judging by there quality of work, truck etc. When I took on the account in the spring i made it very clear that I am a full service landscape company. The ladys reaction was well we cant really afford to do much right now with all the money we just spent on this new ep henrey raised patio. Mind you they also live in a 600,000 dollar home and drive luxury vehicles of course.:angry:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I guess another way to look at it, is take it as a compliment - in a different department. They are price shopping, and/or take it into consideration ahead of time that you are rather high priced - but yet,..................they still keep you on for the mowing and other services.
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree totally!

And another thing, some feel that if they give you all the work you will somehow take advantage of them thinking they are eating out of your hand. So they spread it around to keep everyone happy, and hungry! :D

Just learn how to go on and not make a problem.

Remember, they still have you take care of something which could always turn into a whole lot more. Earn their trust and you will have a good customer for life!
  8. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

Had this happen too, but a little worse. Customer asked us to do something with a problem area I spent an hour designing. She gave us the go ahead then called back and cancled. TWo weeks later showed up to cut the grass and there was my plan all installed.What can you do but suck it up or lose the account?
  9. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, it happens all the time. We sent out notices a while back about aerating to everyone, yet still had a couple of people have someone else do it without even getting a price from us. When we showed up to mow one of the places the guy came out and said "I guess you see we already had it aerated. Someone came knocking on my door a couple days ago and said they could do it right now. Hope your not mad." I said nope not mad. Just realize when you use other people for things that you know we do we can not give you any discounts on other services. When you use us as a full service we can provide great service at a reasonable price. Like a one stop shop. He ended up paying more then I would have quoted and they missed large sections.
  10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It will eat at you until you get it off of your chest. Confront them, but tactfully.