Thanks for punishing us....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 22, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So most of you know, in 2002 our area, Colorado Springs, went into water restrictions. First 3 days, then two, back to three, and eventually lifted in 2004 or 2005. Now they are going to "substantially" increase water rates because............... they aren't selling enough!!!! Our city utilities is city owned. I think it might be time to privatize. They were giving HUGE bonuses recently to employees as well.

And yes, I brought this up probably 2 YEARS ago as well.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/substantial_36588___article.html/ahead_hikes.html

Colorado Springs residents' reward for conserving water will be a yearly string of rate increases beginning this summer.

That's because cityowned Colorado Springs Utilities' water operation faces a $33 million revenue shortfall, largely because of lower water usage and plummeting housing starts.

"We were begging people to conserve, and the community responded. They've done everything right," Councilman Scott Hente said. "I'm worried about the message. If you listen to us, we'll punish you."

2. After my daughter's experience in Bolivia with privatized water you definitely don't want that. Privatization only works INMO when you have real options such as multiple water sources to choose from. No real competition in privatizing a public utility like water.

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Somewhere I read (maybe on LS?) that some areas people were concerving water so well, that they got added to their bill a "minimum amount service charge". They didn't use enough water so they got charged extra!

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I have a minimum I have to pay at my shop which is within their city utilities. I we are almost never there. Flush the toilet maybe twice a week.

good thing I live outside their area. :)

5. I have a separate irrigation meter. Many months go in which it records no water usage. No minimum charge. The city has come out and inspected it for low water usage since I installed my SmartLine to make sure it wasn't broken.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Very very few separate meters here for residential. I don't think I have any clients with them at all.

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfreakin' believable. One would have thought city utilities would have figured that out back in 2002. Oh wait, they spent the last several years surfing the internet for vacations with their huge bonuses.

There was an article back in January about Colorado Springs utilities rasing water rates on average 10% a year for the next 5 years.

Hey, but we have new irrigation equipment rebates!

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And now our customers are going to cry - "Why is my water bill so high?" :cry:

9. And as you improve their system to lower the bill the City raises rates for the lower revenue. Very convoluted situation. Seems borderline illegal. A class action lawsuit needs to be brought on this.

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the same thing happened in Denver. The local residents conserved so much water that the city raised rates to offset their lower revenue!