Thanks for the great tip!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing a spring cleanup this a.m. and as i was working alone and happily, the old lady comes out to talk with me. She begins to question my prices for a spring cleanup ($25 per hour) saying she thinks i am overcharging her. I said oh well those are my prices you agreed upon yesterday let me work". She gets all pissy because she found out that i was doing a job down the road from her at a different rate. Little does she know it is a friend of the family. After she gets pissed and walks inside about 10 minutes pass and she comes back out. "You are raking wrong" she shouts. She then proceeds to give me a 20 minute lecture about the proper way to rake her lawn. I said ok, and went back to work

Do you ever have customers sharing their prices with each other?

I am glad i was getting paid by the hour.

Trevor

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

why are you only getting $25/hr to begin with? just dump that customer. sounds like a pita to me.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

i am working by myself, and all the job consisted off was raking the lawn and bagging the extra. First year guy. What is a reasonable price?

4. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

seriously...go with the $1/ minute plan...it has made all the difference for me...takes me 25min to mow your yard $25 please, takes me hour and a half $90 please...i've had great luck with this this year

i used to always quote based on ft2 and eyeballing, this method has saved me from myself.

in my mind it comes down to this, Am i a professional or not...answer...yes

therefore i charge accordingly

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could get $1 per minute .... last year would have been over $500K with 4 guys .... heck as a solo that would be over $100K for one guy

Charge what YOU need to cover all your cost n grow your business .... if $25 is what you need ..... than that's good .... I'd say more in the $35 per hour is better but your cost are much less than most

6. Trevors Lawn Care

I felt i was covering my costs, but what i get a lot of is, because i am 18 years old people think i am not a professional, and want to pay me like johny from down the street.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

For spring clean-ups I usually charge $35/hr with no complaints about the price in relation to the work I do.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i had that trouble when i was younger, you need to sit down and analyze all your costs really hard including insurance, overhead etc. then you need to decide what you need to get to make a good living. its typically different for each guy, but i can tell ya you should be getting way more than $25/hr. dont sell yourself short.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$25 entirely too cheap.take a little advice from someone who made the mistake of working too cheap. this is year #9 for me. i have no customers left from years 1 thru 5. i started , unknowingly, very cheap. when i started to get serious, and realized i needed to charge alot more, i lost all my customers. since you are just starting out, make these first customers the beginning of your permenant customer base. build on these first customers, do the work properly, and charge properly, right from the start, and you will reach your goal much faster.

10. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

First lesson, Never charge by the hour. Only charge by the job. I is no business of the client how long it takes you.

scott