Thanks guys.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I just want to say thanks to all you guys that helped make our first season in this business a success and enjoyable. Back in February when we (wife & I) decided to give it a try part-time, we had no clue if it would fly or not. We started with a John Deere L120 rider, Toro 21", Craftsman trimmer, Homelite handheld blower/vac, a single place tilt snowmobile trailer, a bunch of flyers & a ton of excitement. We're finishing up the season with a Snapper 52" ZTR, Toro 21", Echo trimmer, Echo blower, Big Tex 6.5x10 trailer, 12 good commercial customers (all are very happy with our service), Blizzard snowplow, a bunch more flyers for snowplowing & a ton more excitement, and hopes of going full-time next season.

I learned a lot about this business via "on the job" training, but also learned a ton from the advice & direction of you guys. I think I found lawnsite.com around April or so, and wish I'd found out about it sooner. Anyway, our mowing season is winding down here, it was 24 degees last night. We have a couple fall clean ups (most like to wait till spring around here), a week or two of mowing, then it's on to snowplowing for the winter. I'd like to list everyone that gave direction & advice, but I know I'd forget someone and don't want to do that so I'm just going to say a big THANK YOU to all.

Buck
    Up North Yard & Drive

WeatherMan and CamLand like this.
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Another scrub story turned good :rolleyes: j/k.

Buck, this is a perfect example of guys jumping on each other based on their equipment. You started out how you had to, in order to get rolling, and looks to me like you're growing real nicely. :)

Congrats on a successful first season, and I wish you continued success through the winter and into next year!

3. Up North

from MN

Mark, I agree. That's why I'll never knock someone for using something that others may consider scrubbish. Sometimes folks can't afford to start off with the best equipment. It took me longer to complete the job, but it still looked good with finished, I made sure of that. I had an incident early this year that was directly related to "inferior equipment", if you search for "what goes round comes round" that'll expain it better. Good luck to you as well!

Buck

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yes, I remember it. That's what I thinking about actually. Kudo's to you for rising above that BS, and making your plan work. It really looks like is coming together for you.

6. Up North

from MN

Thanks, I think it's coming together. We didn't make a ton of money this year as a lot went back into the business. But I think it'll be "up and to the right" for next year and hopefully many years to come. I have a master plan that needs to be fulfilled, and this is only step one...

Buck

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Good job. I hope mine comes out as succesful as yours.

I just have one question for you, how did you get the commercial accounts?

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Buck glad to hear all of this has worked out for you. Lawnsite has a lot of great information but it is up to you to decide what info is correct/beneficial and go for it. It sounds like you made a lot of good choices and did the right thing to keep your customers satisfied.

Gravely_Man

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Well how about sharing the master plan?
    Mines not working the way I thought, suppose to be on a beach in Tahiti with bikini clad ladies bringing me drinks yr rd. :D

Mac

10. Up North

from MN

Lawnboy89,
    By a little of everything. Flyers, knocking on some doors, referrals or word of mouth. Most of my accounts came via word of mouth (referrals), and one good thing was that they weren't all from the same person/source either. 7 of the 12 accounts were referrals, 5 from customers and 2 from other people that saw our work and passed our name on.

Buck