Thanks so very much TGCL =(

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tjgray, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Your quest to eliminate your competition and goals of corporate monopoly has succeeded again today.

I think most here have read how very thankful we are for our main sub-contractor and how we give them credit for us even being in business today. We received a real tough blow this morning when we found out that the owner is selling to TGCL *sighs* effective today :(

Of course I am aware that it is not good to depend so much on one account and thankfully our own customer base is growing but we usually work 3 or 4 days a week sub-contracting with this company and it is quite frankly very concerning to lose them.

My husband has already talked to our other sub-contractor who we usually work a couple of days a week for and they are glad that he has some extra time for them and can easily give him a day or so more of work so this will help.

I guess either we batten down the hatches, continue to grow our own customer base, work as much as we can with our other contractor and deal with it *business is business and **** happens...roll with it* or the other option is he can do what everyone of the employees are going to have to do at our ex contractors company, go to work for TGCL *they have already offered them all positions*.....what do you think we are going to do *should I give you a hint*

No way would we ever work for TGCL again and I am real disappointed that a man I thought so highly of who had a successful small business going on would sell out to TGCL :(

I guess he did what he felt he needed to do but it still makes me feel bad. It is just another gobbled up by the monster in my opinion and I really do hate it.

I really wished he would have given us a little more notice than today *sighs* I feel like getting drunk and I gave up drinking 2 years ago :cry:

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

You've still got the customer base though, right? Why not get certified and licensed and do it yourself?

I agree that it's a crappy thing to lose a sub that way, but you need to do more than just roll over and take it (not that I'm suggesting that's what you're doing).

This brings up the whole idea of the moralities of selling your business. My dad has a successful aircraft maintenance business that he's thinking of selling. I'm pretty sure that there are a handful of companies that he would not sell to under any circumstances, a few that he'd love to sell to, and lots that fall into that gray area.

Some people think that since you're not going to be involved in the business anymore that it doesn't matter. But you've still got employees that you care about (at least you did up until you sold), and customers that you care about (presumably), so I think we need to be as responsible when selling a business as we are when we are running it.

Just my .02.

3. tjgray

We are certified, licensed, and insured and have been in business for two years. We do have our own small customer base that is growing it's just the majority of our work we sub-contracted from my husbands ex-employer.

I actually consider us better off than his regular employees who found out today that either they go to work for TGCL or that they are out of jobs. We are not totally dependent on our contractor so we have more flexibility.

I think your Dad is absolutely correct in considering his employees before selling and I am not sure what our now ex contractor was thinking *like I said I guess he did what he thought was best* but I can straight out tell you his decision to sell affects more than just him and he has left behind some very concerned employees today with that decision * I can't even began to express my concern over his many loyal customers that are now going to have TGCL as their service provider :(* Still absolutely wish him the best and hope that things work out for the rest of his employees as well. We have worked with this company for several years and have kind of felt like they were family.

Stubbornness is one of my many charming qualities so I refuse to let this get the best of us, it just really stunned me as we never saw it coming :dizzy:

It is indeed a valuable lesson in business not to put all of your eggs in one basket thats for sure and I am thankful we have a few hens left.

Hope the day goes well for all :waving:

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Does TGCL do mowing too? Or just fertilizing? If they don't, from what i read here, you could follow along behind them and pick up mowing accounts if the grass is going to be growing so much.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

tjgray, Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. From day one I have worked as a subcontractor for a number of other companies, both on commercial and residential properties and have struggled to maintain a comfortable balance. Unfortunately you have learned the hard way the potential consequences of relying too heavily on any one source of revenue, but I can fully appreciate how that probably happened. Its hard to say no to business even if your instincts tell you otherwise, although from the sounds of it you had no reason to believe it was going to happen. Next to my desire to take care of my family and live a life of luxury, TGCL is one of the best motivators I have. I once worked for and now absolutely despise this company for the negative impact they have on this industry. Use this incident to "fuel your fire" and use your newly found production capability to build a stronger business. Sub work has its place but it does not add much long term value to your business. When the day comes to sell your business, customers that you "own" are worth far more than those that you service as a sub.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

says it all

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Dang, Tara, you have not had a real great week! First the loss of a beloved family pet and now this. Hope everything turns out ok for ya! Like someone else said, let this light a fire under you. I rememver back in the 90s when I was a sub for a office equipment place for several years and when I lost it I like to went under, so I learned from that not to put too many eggs in one basket also.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It is somewhat of a double edged sword when selling a business...........
    Tell people in advance and sometimes peculiar things begin to happen because of that advance notice..........wait till the last minute to notify people and you will always have a bit of disbelief and hard feelings to deal with.........it's a no win situation sometimes...............

On the other hand, selling to the likes of service master, who is the parent company of tgcl is not something I personally would consider. Small business is the driving force behind our economy and the independent spirit in America in general, I see no need to dilute that spirit by selling to a corporate conglomerate.
    But of course, that's just my opinion.

Good luck to you..................

9. tjgray

You don't know the half of it poorman trust me but whats that saying what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger :rolleyes:

Your absolutely correct Cemers I am not concerned over having TGCL as a competitor we used to work for them too and we know that quality will out win quantity every time :)

We do absolutely plan to use our added time productively although I am not sure how much added time we will have as our other sub-contractor has no problem *right now* working us 3 or 4 days * and our own customer base continues to grow despite us really doing absolutely no advertising other than word of mouth and a few fliers.

I did just get the website up so no more TGCL advertising :D but it is still too early for our yards to be in top shape and somehow when the site uploaded the pixels seemed to get scewed so needless to say I need to replace the pictures. Now that I got the hard part done I can focus on these boxes of marketing materials I have behind me so like I said added time productively.

It was a shock to hear the news so suddenly but I get why he chose to do it that way. You are right DVM advance warning could cause people to change their behavior especially when they feel like their loyalty has not been returned. Actually although I also agree that I am too independent to ever make a similar decision I understand why he would. He originally got his start with TGCL and was one that liked the company. Gave them credit for his start. I am sure he made a nice chunk of change that will set him and his family quite nicely for his over 10 year old company and they are going to make him an area manager. We hold him no ill will for doing what he thought best for himself and wish him well. We are only sorry to lose such a valuable support, mentor, account, chemical supplier etc....

10. tjgray

My husband said it was the craziest day...said when he got to the office this morning he ran into the other guy we contract from who told him he wanted him to work for him today but that he had a meeting to attend and so he wouldn't be. My husband who knew nothing about a meeting was confused and asked him good or bad news? He responded by pointing to his name tag and saying thats no more. Now this was at 6:30am or so and the meeting is not until 9am. In the meentime they have the guys unloading fert from their trucks and putting it back into the store room completely unaware and all the while wondering what the heck. Meeting started and the guest of honor was some really top guy from TGCL....my husband said from then on out it was crazy said TGCL sent in a team of 8 or so and cleaned house.

One day a successful over 10 year old company the next gone....it was just that quick :dizzy: