Thanks to all

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firstteam, Sep 3, 2006.

1. firstteam

firstteam LawnSite Member

I've been a member of this site for several year....Have never really posted...Just like to read how the pro's do it and have learned a tremendous amount about the mowing game....Recently I escaped a "near death experience" with my JD 687, and not wanting to replace it with another one that has the tendency to BURST INTO FLAMES, I decided to go with Grasshopper....While I'm just a "homeowner", I mow a little over ten acres, including our 250 tree apple orchard and two pastures that require mowing every three days most of the time.....I had no experience with GH, but after demoing one, I can see that the advice here on the site was right on target...GH makes one hell of a mower....I couldn't be happier...Thanks to all who share information....

Oh BTW...I purchased the 729 GH...Kubota 29 HP, Liquid cooled 3 cylinder / 61" Power fold Deck and the 25 cu/ft collection system....What a machine!
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on the new should last you a long time.
  3. J. Bret Holder

J. Bret Holder LawnSite Member

Certainly not to knock Scag, but a dealer here in New Oleans recently sold a brand new Scag Tiger Cub to one of its commercial customers, only to get it back within the week due to the machine catching fire. That had to be one of the most eary things that I have ever seen.

The seat was charred and the seat-foam was wrapped in molten plastic. The heat from the fire melted the entire fuel tank. All that was left of the fuel tank was a powdery residue. Anything on that machine that could melt, or burn, certainly did.

From what I understand, the poor guy operating the machine, bailed out just in time. His description was that he heard and felt a very loud pop. Immediately after that, he felt high-heat on the back of his neck.

Culprit that caused the fire: The engine. It was a 23 hp "Exploding Kohler."

Note: At least you have several engine 'brand' options with Scag: (Honda, Kawasaki, and don't forget Kohler.) - so that's a pretty good deal.

Seems these days that Kawasaki motors are a safe way to travel.

Would I still buy a Scag? Heck Yeah! But only with a Kawasaki motor.
  4. firstteam

firstteam LawnSite Member

QUOTE: "From what I understand, the poor guy operating the machine, bailed out just in time"

That's exactly the position I found myself in....However it wasn't the 23 HP Kohler that started the fire on my John Deere....Actually it was a design defect in the collection system...The same thing happened last year, only the mower didn't catch fire....The collection system for the 687 is kind of an after thought kinda deal (my opinion)...The bolts on drive unit mount on the side of the mower frame into two slots and the nuts are put on and tightened from the back....Problem is, the nuts vibrate loose and the unit tilts backwards out of the slots, forcing the drive belt on the bottom backside of the unit up against the plastic gas tank and it wears RIGHT thru it...The first time it happened I guess I got lucky and it didn't ignite...The Deere dealer repaired it under warranty and said it was a rare occurence...(I've since talked to two other 687 owners who have experienced the same problem althought their didn't catch fire)....This time I wasn't so lucky...(or should I say my insurance company wasn't so lucky)...According to State Farm, the product liability division in going to investigate mower...I'm going to stay in touch with them to see if they do....I'd sure hate to see anyone get burned up on a 687 because of a "known" design flaw.....

All in all there's a postive in every negative and this new mower not only does a better job but it mows nearly twice as fast on the big open ground ....:) Not to mention how COMFORTABLE it is....(which was a BIG consideration when I bought it).....
  5. J. Bret Holder

J. Bret Holder LawnSite Member

Just glad that you are okay.

It's crazy to think that when your out there working hard outdoors, the least of your expectations is that a piece of equipment is going to self-destruct. I have never had that happen to me and hope I never do.
  6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

That FINE engine will outlast the entire machine.:weightlifter: :usflag:
  7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

hey atleast deere gave you the warranty. there was a homeowner here this year with an exploding DEERE as well it put him in the hospital for a few weeks I believe and was on the news because DEERE wouldn,t meet his warranty or help out with the hospital expenses. Their excuse was something to do with the sent a recall notice to the dealers so it was his fault he didn,t know about the recall.So take this into consideration (Next time your out and see a DEERe. Slow down and head the other direction), cause your sure to be in some pain if not.