Thanks to lawnsite for "job experience"

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by miacharger, Dec 17, 2005.

1. miacharger

miacharger LawnSite Member

OK most days I sit at a desk and talk on the phone, write e-mails and do research for new projects, but other than my own home and business landscaping I don't get much hands on time anymore . although Our latest project is studying the feasibility of running equipment with used cooking oil or wood waste!. Someone responded to my post about skid loader controls and in a roundabout way gave me a job using a Bobcat 773 and hydraulic auger to drill holes for fenceposts, all along a 5-acre property. It was a great experience which I thorougly enjoyed. Never was in a machine that new or for that long, I was in the seat for almost two hours straight, had a break, spent more time in there and didn't feel worn out. Got paid too which made the trip worthwhile! This machine wasn't single joystick controlled though, but the more standard skid steer. This seems like a pretty good way to get experience with different machines and I hope that other people message me too, if you need someone for a day. I would like to try out different skid steers, wheeled and tracked. The only odd thing was getting used to that safety bar, I have never been in a machine with one! Also was impressed by the speed of the drilling process, the auger on my machine has less power, the newer Bobcats must have a higher gpm hydraulic system it seems. One other thing, the newer bobcats seem to get hotter in the seat than the older ones. Maybe it's the engine or mabe the ROPS is more closed in, i don't know. Anyway I always like to see the opinions of others on this message board!