1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thanks Washington

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Starting July 2008, those who want to obtain a CDL in Washington state are required to meet 160 hours of training before they can recieve the license. What a stupid and ridiculous idea that is, way to make it even more difficult for the upcoming generation to get into the field. Is it just me or is this backward thinking? If CDL drivers have to recieve 160 hours of training I think that anyone getting a standard drivers license should have to sit through 25 hours of instruction. Those of us who got our licenses at 16 actually had to attend classes, those 18 and over can just go grab a license after they pass the written test, which is easier than all hell. I think there are many more stupid people driving around creating more problems, per capita, than CDL drivers so I'm not sure why we're boosting the requirements on commercial drivers.
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Bottom line Scag.....if you don't have it, go get it now!
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

sounds like a good idea to me...some of the drivers out there now are nuts...go get it now before its too late
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I can't get mine now, I just don't have the time otherwise I definately would. I'll be okay in the end, the union requires all apprentices to have a CDL within a year of starting the program and they offer CDL training at the grounds already. If they want all of us to recieve one, it will be up to the union to train us under these new requirements, I'm not terribly worried about being able to get a CDL in the future. However, it will become a little more time consuming than in the past but I guarantee the union will still continue to train for CDL's. But, it's the principle, these new requirements are going to put a chokehold on trucking for sure. I can only imagine how difficult it's going to be for someone who doesn't have training available to them. The CDL courses at my grounds are fairly basic for CDL driving, I think you have access to someone to teach you what you need to know and when you feel comfortable enough with your driving and want to test you can do the driving test there as well.
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

a lot of trucking companies put rookies on the road with older drivers to gain plenty of experience, then the company a lot of time has licensed 3rd party testers to give the guy his license...the only people this new thing will be hurting is guys like you and me that only haul occasionally for a dirt company where you may only spend a few hours a week in a truck rather then 13 hours days like OTR guys do....good thing i already have my license :drinkup:
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah you're right, if you're hired to drive truck you'll get the training. I think I'm looking at it the same way in my situation, I'm required to have one so I'll leave the training requirements up to the union, they will train me and get me legal eventually so I'm not terribly worried about it.
  7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more !!
  8. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get it sooner than later, (regardless of union). It is a perc for job assignments.

bottom line for me is time and money.... 160hrs is a lot of time (even if you are getting paid for it, which may or may not happen). Stuff happens... (like getting laid off after 32 yrs service but 6 wks before retirement eligibility...) jobs change... having extra tools in your box and taking the initiative to "get-er-done" outside of the normal process has paid dividends in my career. I tend to not wait for the pack, and consider the 'Western Posse Poster' that says in pictures... "you're either making dust (outlaws) or eat'n it (posse)". Too many years in the saddle seasoned my taste for dust. (horses and motorcycle racing)

I don't like the taste one bit. Like I tell my age 20 something kids... "there's 24 hrs in a day... git-er-done" (they don't take kindly to that than anymore than they did of my threat of "Dairy Farm boarding school" when they were teenagers) I got a lot of CDL experience pre-16 backing silage, feed, and hay wagons around... didn't kill me, tho the social life is a bit tough.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They won't do that in B.C. they can't get enough no speak english drivers. The trucking rate is so low its not profitable but the BCTA wants to import people from other countries to drive.

Bobcat ron see's it where he lives and around the lower mainland :laugh:
  10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I didn't realize that the truck driving schools had that kind of political clout. They are the only ones who are going to benefit from this law. I'm sure glad I got mine when I did. Scag, hopefully they will just roll the training into your apprenticeship program so it won't be too much of a pain in the azz and you can get credit for the hours spent training.