1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

That Customer I think everybody has one

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by meicher806, Mar 2, 2009.

1. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

So every year i put my spring ad in the paper and it seams that every year there is a older lady im guessing around 75 to 80 years old that calls for a bid on tree work and lawn mowing. (5 years this year will make 6) I never get the bid, normaly i would go giver her my price on the slim chance i might get it. This year im thinking about lowering my price to see if i cant maybe get into her neighborhood. Has anybody else thought about or done this, this year due to the uncertainty of the economy? just wondering.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't lower your price for her, because from the sounds of it, she will be nothing but a pain in the a*s.
  3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac LawnSite Member

I agree, forget her, tell her you are too busy, don't lower your price. She may just be using you to verify she is getting a good deal from whoever she has been using.

fwiw, I have been in business 24 years (not lawn care) and I have already proven to everyone in this city we can 'do it'.. so I 'do it' for the money..

5 years of free estimates is more than enough... good luck
  4. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't agree more...
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I am tempted to do that as well but I'm still not going to, it's just not worth it.

Unless you want to do charity work, in which case I would have no problem.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Im in it for the money!!! And I do also enjoy what I do
  7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

My gut says PITA. What does yours say? Have you met her? Raise my price? Maybe. Lower it yet? NO WAY.
  8. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

5 years you have been bidding it? My question is why isnt the person she goes with staying? sounds like a pita to me. I generally stay away from those. I always ask if they have gotton other bids or had lawn service before. If the answer is yes then i ask why are you thinking of a change?
    But 5 years means, no one wants it.
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a proud old biddy that wants your business at a high school mower's prices. The key word is PROUD. Gotta love them...gotta love NOT working for them, too. I always wave when I drive by! :waving:
  10. Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape

Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Agree with Dlawns.. What I do is each time I raise my price.. 2 things will happen either you scare her with the price and she wont call you ( and waste your time ) or she will say hell ya and it will be worth it for you!