That didnt fix it

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I stated in another thread, that I fixed my Shin Edger. For some reason the furl line is developing a full prime. Meaning I guess the tank is building pressure and makeing fuel go into the carb(when not running) which is then leaking out of the carb side or the muffler. How do I stop this. Isnt that why it has a vent line coming out of the tank, so It doesnt build pressure?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did not see you other thread but the reason for the fuel flooding your engine is because the fuel needle is not seating or shutting off the flow of fuel, debris and improper needle lever height first things I would check and no your vent keeps your gas tank from imploding and fuel flowing freely to your carb the removed gas that your engine uses has to be replaced with air if air is not let into the tank then you will get line lock.

3. Kartracer55

Kartracer55 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

MM, I agree with you on the fuel flow situation but Id also like to add that gas in a sealed container will develop pressure. One of my gas tanks is a rather thin walled 2 1/2 gallon tank. I can put it away with the internal pressure being "neutral" and seal of the cap/vent. I can come back one day and it will be "bloated" and another day it will look like somebody hooked a vacuum pump up to it. The only reason I can come up with is possibly temperature changes. I dont notice this on any of my other containers but the other ones are thicker plastic so the strength/ridgidity of the higher quality containers may overcome the internal pressure differences or whatever the hell is going on inside the gas tank

Jim

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the reason for the float / needle to shut off the flow of fuel, the bloating you are seeing is gas vapor trying to evaporate out from your tank and yes heat has a big factor on this but most 2 cycle fuel tanks are made of a think plastic so the bloat is usually not present on hand held equipment as far as fuel storage (IMHO) metal tanks are the only way to go :)

5. ChadsLawn

Thanks Ill take the carb apart and clean it. Hope it works.

As far as gas cans, I dont have that problem. I always leave the vent cap alittle loose just so it doesnt build pressure.

6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

On your other thread you were told to replace the diaphragm and gaskets (kit). Did you do this? If you did not then it is possible that the pump diaphragm is stiff to point of not allowing the metering lever to reset.

If you did and the carb floods then as stated your metering lever is not set to the proper height or there is an obstruction preventing the inlet needle from seating.

This is a WYL19 carb and the Walbro K20WYL kit will supply all you need to fix it. Good idea to replace the fuel filter and the primer bulb, Walbro#188-12, while you are at it.

7. ChadsLawn

that is my shin weed eater.. This problem is on my shin edger. I use my edger all the time. My Shin trimmer hanst been used in a long time. I have another trimmer I use now. But I miss my shin and want to use both the shin edger and trimmer.

8. ChadsLawn

Well thins morning I took the carbs off both the trimmer and edger. Carefully took them apart and clean them thoroughly(sp). Then I clean all around the intake to get the dirt and stuff off.

The trimmer need alittle carb adjustment(a little screw inside the throttle part itself. But they both started. The edger no longer seeps fuel into the carb and the trimmer no longer bogs down @ WOT. Ive let them both run for about 15 minutes going through diff levels of rpm's. Then I let them sit for about an hour. They both started right back up. The trimmer although doesnt have the quick response to the throttle as my edger(same size engines, diff carbs). MAybe because it older then the edger.

Chad

9. ChadsLawn

Thursday morning, I went to mow my 1 and only home for today. Took the shin edger and trimmer with me. The edger was flawless. The trimmer although just didnt seem to have the umppffff like the trimmer has. Im going to tinker with that little screw inside the throttle some more to see if I can get more umppfff out of her.

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you plan on adjusting the throttle valve needle screw to either lean out or richen the flow.

Did you run a tag wire through the jet when you disassembled and cleaned??

The needle screw is funny about adjustments sometimes but easy enough to play with. If you really mess it up yuo can get a new throttle valve assy for less than $15 at most Walbro dealers.