1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

That isn't 10 yds...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NNJLandman, May 21, 2004.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright today I was delivering top soil for my boss, I don't have my cdl yet so me and another kid were running two of the mason....we put 5 yards in each truck(give or take a shovel full) but now the lady calls and is complaining that they didn't get their full 10 yds. Anyone have an idea of how to figure out how much they really got....they already spread it out.

Thanks

Jeff

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

if its paid for its too late, guess theyll have to buy more

Chuck

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

measure the area that the mulch was spread in to. it's always "approximate" with mulch anyway.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Simple math..................
    length times width times depth...................

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Ya sure, as long as it's a consistent depth.

Hope you got the loot before you dumped the load.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Topsoil is deceiving because it packs down. You always need more than you would think.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

aren't mason trucks 3 yard capacity? If so, how did you get 5 yds into a three yd truck?

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

we have tall sides on it....it was overloaded, i have a pic of the truck but i can't get it resized correctly.

Jeff

9. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Wow you were probley over weight, my F-350 is begging for mercey with 3 yards of dirt. I would not give an inch to that customer as long as you truthfuly gave them 10 yards. Try to educate them on dirt...What KenH says is so true it just dosnt go as far as most people think.

10. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

I buy my prosessed topsoil by the ton...I expain it to my customers in terms I think they can identify with. One ton of processed top soil is five "full" wheelborrow loads. Each wheelborrow has 25 shovels in it. SO 125shovels full equals one ton of topsoil. This usually helps them understand. One ton of soil isnt as much dirt as one seems to think. Believe me I have shoveled lots of dirt.