1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

That #@#@#@ MOLE

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chris03053, Oct 3, 2005.

1. chris03053

chris03053 LawnSite Member

I have a nice lawn with no crubs but i still get a mole or two in the spring and fall and they do a job on my lawn. I have tryed gas fumes, pellet, pitch folk,and mole repellent spray which make them go mad :realmad: , but no luck :help:
  2. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Trapping them is the only way.
  3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

.....or a shotgun pointed in the right direction. :D
  4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

the only reason i can think of is that the moles are feeding on a few grubs. that may be the case. but they way you describe it, tells another story. moles feed on grubs and dont usually hang out where they arent.
  5. JStockton

JStockton LawnSite Member

Check out www.talpirid.com. I have used this mole bait w/ success. Find a reputable contractor in your area that is fimiliar with this product.
  6. chris03053

chris03053 LawnSite Member

I have a neighbors cat hanging out in the front lawn latey. I hope he gets him. Cats like moles don't they?
  7. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Actually, earthworms are one of the main things that moles eat, along with grubs. I've really researched the subject, because I have a horrible mole problem. You can eliminate grubs from your yard and still have a bad mole problem, because the worms are still there.
  8. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I know I'm late getting to this one, but hopefully I can still help.

JStockton was right to recommend Talpirid. As far as chemicals go, Talpirid is the only chemical on the market actually labeled and proven to consistently kill moles. It's relatively cheap (40-ish for a box of 20 baits) and it works great. I make my living selling products to the professional lawn care industry and I can personally vouch for the efficacy of this product.

(Just remember to follow the detailed instructions or it may not work for you...)

If you call your local LESCO they can hook you up. If you don't live close to one, they can simply UPS it to you. Just call them with a CC number and you'll be all set.

Best of luck!

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Drop some chewed bubble gum into a hole and wait a week to see what happens
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Bubble gum doesn't work, neither does moth balls, gas, pellets, or anything like that. I had a cat who had a great time digging up the lawn and eating the moles, but, like I said, she dug up 1/2 the lawn getting them. Talpirid is the only product out there that works. Follow the instructions, and it will kill the moles. And having moles definitely does NOT mean you have grubs. Their primary food source is earthworms, which is why Talpirid is in the shape of worms. Call your local Lesco, $45 including tax, it's well worth it.