That old naggin' baggin' question!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Feb 27, 2003.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Got a problem- have a long term customer who has wanted me to bag his yard almost since I started with him. He's got tons of pine trees, most are very old so they drop lots of lims during the week as well.

This time of year the mulching I'm doing hoestly does not make the yard look good at all.

So do I buy a bagger for this cusomer and bag for this time of the year only? Or tell him it's time to part ways.

By the way this customer always payes early, has out right given me 1. a chain saw, 2. a very tall expension latter, 3. was the only customer to give me a christmas present.

He's pleasant but is insistant he want his yard bagged.

Thought?

Oh, I have a Wright Stander 52". Any out there using the Grass Gobler? Is it worth the investment?

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Keep the customer!! Invest the $150. for the gobbler. If he has been asking you since day one, why did you wait so long in the first place? I do not own any standers, but have friends that swear by them. They use the gobblers, and they even make a "leaf" gobbler. It is a jumbo with a 2 foot "box" extension that has a HUGE capacity. I use gobblers on all my walk behinds, and works great. Customer satisfaction dude!! Give the customers what they want. Who know's maybe you'll get some more customers off of it!

Not sure how things work in Florida, I am down here now looking around on vacation. Looks alot different from back home though. You may want too see if you can get a couple of extra $$ out of the guy if you have to pay additional for dumping. He seems like a great customer, I would value him and make him happy. :cool:

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I outright refuse to bag. But in your case I might do it, just for that customer. Is there somewhere to dump the clippings? Are you going to charge the same price?

4. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I would bag for this customer. Charge him for the extra labor to bag, lets say an additional 10 minutes labor(overhead) and extra fee for the dumping , this would depend on how much the dump sites charges you. .This is what i do for customers who want their lawns bagged. If they want to pay extra money fine;otherwise they may decide to skip bagging (saves them money) and then i side discharge using a set of Atomic mulching blades.This works for me.Good luck.
    Gary

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would bag if the customer is going to make it worth your while in purchasing and maintaining an extra piece of equipment plus you additional time. If he agrees to this and you have a place to dump the clippings then go for it.

Gravely_Man

6. unclepaul

unclepaul LawnSite Member

Remember once you bag the lawn there is no turning back, they see what it looks like and they will insist on bagging ! I bag with the ultra vac system and folks DO NOT like to pay extra ! :rolleyes:

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Friend with a 52" Surfer. He uses a jumbo Accelerator when he bags. He really likes the accelerator bag. But he doesn't bag unless he has to.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Since the customer has gone out of his way to be good to you, I would say do the same for him if you can find it in your heart to do so, especially since the alternative is not giving satisfactory results. :angel:

9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I would have no problem bagging for a customer that has treated me that well. I use a grass gobbler and I can say that the ost is weel worth it. I wouldn't want to bag all day with one but for a few yards here and there they are a great lo- buck bagger. I would suggest spending the extra and get the jumbo.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You have to decide if you want the business or not. How big is the lawn? A huge lawn that requires bagging will need more than a $200 bagger hung on it or you'll be there all day. If it's small, I would consider doing it, especially if you can dump the debris on-site. But I wouldn't do too much buying of equipment for special customers unless I could make it really pay.

Bagging is more tiring, and slower. So factor that in.

I bought a push blower/vac years ago for one account. They sold the house after one use. I never had another use for it for years, finally traded it away for some electrical work.

I bag some, but nothing huge.