that price is rediculous, i'll just get the mexicans!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 28, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

here is another one, just last week, again, $700,000 home, 2 mercedes in the driveway: "how much to clean the leaves?" me:" $400." her:" WHAT!!!! that's outrageous. do u know what my nieghbor does.?" me:" ummm, no, i don't." her:" he goes down where all the mexicans sit, grabs two of them, gives them a rake and plastic bags,pays them $8 an hour, and for less than $150, they clean the whole yard." me:" can you put that in writing please.?"

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey bobby...what's the barber say?

Next!

3. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I agree with you.
    A lot of the guys on this site talk about doing work for the big accounts like the house you mentioned opening this thread and I have found that many times they are the worst people to deal with. Perhaps because many aren't used to manual labor and don't know what is involved. Perhaps because they don't respect what we do and think it is un-skilled labor. Probably both. After all, when she made the wisecrack about the Mexicans, she was basically telling you anyone could do the job.
    1. How do you think they got that $700K home with two Mercedes in their garage. Being frugal with their monies, thats how.
    2. Just their house payments and car payments alone probably have them "married" to their home. Never mind the small bills that go along with those expenses so maybe they could not afford you.
    Of course charging someone extra because they own many luxuries is wrong too. I am not saying thats what you were doing, but I know it happens all the time.
    If you think she was serious about hiring those Mexicans, make it a point to frequently drive by her and her neighbors homes. If she hires the Mexicans, turn her in. They are probably illegal anyways. I would not even think twice about doing it.

Craig

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have 2 words for this woman - ELIZABETH SMART

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

who's elizabeth smart?

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the girl that was taken by the handy man the parents hired

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

what a nightmare

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

had a lady call me this fall for an estimate, said she's fed up with her mexican crew's mowing. She says "i don't want to give them another red cent" so i go to give her an estimate for the leaves. $225. i figure its about 3.5-4hrs of work. She just about slammed the doors in my face when she said, "oh well, my mexicans can do it for $150". I told her to tell them to have fun doing it.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah had that happen a couple of weeks ago. We pulled up to do the 4 neighbors houses, and saw 2 Mexicans doing her house. Rakes and bags. The poor guys looked like they wanted to kill us, as we kept pulling out equipment. After we finished the 3rd house, and the 2 guys were still on the front yard, the owner gave me a devilish look. I had to laugh.

The funny thing is that they feel they are getting the same quality job for cheaper. Penny pincher's! :cool:

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

The same cr@p happens here in OZ too, I quicky learned these tight azzes with expensive properties are many times not the ones to appreciate quality work, they choose the local dill who works for beer money, they don't understand nice lawns and gardens compliment their house, as long as the dang grass is cut that's all they care about.

The folks I found the best are not the rich, but the dual income families, they haven't time to do it themselves and spend more time with kids outdoors and in their gardens, these folks want a nice lawn and can afford it. And with families they won't want every tom , ****, n harry, or foreignors, they want reliable, trustworthy, pay fair to top price, and top quality work.

That's how I've found the Aussie market anyway.

Tony.