That Roundup Stuff???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Toastpuppy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Toastpuppy

Toastpuppy LawnSite Member

Trying to find out what the stuff is that you put in the hand - pump - up sprayer things thats like round up to kill everything around the edge of the house, and planters and stuff like that.
    Can anyone help???
    What is it called, and where can i get it???

Thanks

2. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy!:hammerhead: :dancing: ;)

3. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

why not just roundup? but really theres a ton of different brands, total vegetation killer, scotts, brush-b-gone, etc, they can all be found at home depot, lowes, wal-mart, hardware stores, etc etc.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are interested in a safer product you can use Vinegar available in organic section of most garden centers.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think he means the chem, glyosphate or glyphosate or glysophate or something along those lines is what the active ingredient is called.

6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

The "stuff" you're referring to is a pesticide commonly called "round-up", because it's probably the most common brand. (I.E "bobcat" : skidsteer) It's usually available at any home store or even wally-world.

If you are using it for personal use, at your own home, I'd definantly read the back of the jug umpteen times before you apply it anywhere, considering your level of experience with it.

Are you planning on applying this to customer's properties? If so, you need a commercial pesticide applicator license, or you can get fined BIG TIME. Check these out: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61624
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=154569. Hope this helps you out a bit.

edt-double references, took page 5 min to load.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ohhh lordy lordy. First of all, RoundUp is an HERBICIDE!

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess they can try a pesticide on their weeds. Never tried it...heck it might even work! LOL

9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, my bad there, i should be referring myself to the "read and not post" discussion now.:hammerhead: The blind leading the blind.:waving:

I'm sure as heck not a licensed applicator myself but from what I had read I understood the following:States license companies and individuals for application of pesticides for hire. Anything used to control a pest is subject to licensing. PEST (relating to the landscape) = any undesirable plant, insect, disease, animal, or other condition. PESTICIDE = any chemical (natural or synthetic) used to control a pest.

Round-up does control(kill) plants, correct?

I took this off of a sticky in the pesicide section of the forum.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

In a relaxed sense, you're correct in this thinking...but only when your de-weeding and landscaping. In chemicals, the terms are very specific:

A pest is a living creature or organism that negatively affects the growth of plant life. Ie: insects, rodents, ect.

An herbicide is specifically developed to kill plant life itself.

Both need an applicators license to apply.