That time of year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapeFreeorDie, Oct 25, 2005.

1. LandscapeFreeorDie

LandscapeFreeorDie LawnSite Member

Well now its gettin to be about that time of year. We all know what I'm talking about even though this is my first visit to lawnsite. I'm talkin about the season's almost over guys! Winter is coming and the rakes and blowers are replaced by shovels, hot chocolate, and Irish coffee. Ahhh. The money is replaced with dust. Not me. This year, I'm plowin baby. For too long I've sat idley by INDOORS while watching plow trucks go around and cash in. What's everyone else doin' in the off-season. Come on guys. lets get some good conversation goin', that is if it isn't too early to start thinking about that.:drinkup:

2. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Of course around these parts we don't have to worry about plowing snow. What do I do for the winter? I "hunker down" and stay warm. Don't even hunt anymore. I take a break and enjoy it.

Looks like my mowing season is going to get cut short this season. We are finally having a "mini" drought down here. We have been blessed all season with just the right amount of rain and only when it was needed, but it has finally caught up with us. The grass is really hurting now, and tonight we are expecting our first frost. That should get the leaves really started now, so that wil keep me busy for awhile yet.

Elkson, I did not realize Dallas got that much snow. Are you going somewhere else to do this or do you get enough to be profitable with plowing?

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, our "off season" gets shorter and shorter each year. I used to be slow from mid-Oct. until April or May. But nowadays my winter break is much shorter. We were swamped as of March 1 and right now we have installation jobs on the books until mid-november. Then, we still have 150 sprinkler winterizations do to after that. And then maybe I'll get a 3 month break if I am lucky.

Money's a little better these days, in the winter. But I miss all the time I used to have off.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

that was my thought

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Would that snow be pepsi or coke in Dallas?