"that web site is screwing up your head"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i ran into a friend, he's been in lawncare 20 years. nice guy, but certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed. of course it turns into a screaming match in the middle of the street every time i see him, but, it's fun. i asked him what his hourly/daily/weekly operating costs are. he said, "i don't know." i asked him what his policies are on certain issues. he said, "i don't have pre arranged policies on anything, i just deal with things as they come." he works 7 am till dark, solo, 6 days a week. sometimes 7. has nice stuff, insurence, and does a good job. but, again he has no clue on what it's costing him to operate, how much he's making, and has no policies whatsoever on payments, late fees, collection, rain, etc. he's just basically "winging it". he said my problem is, "that website you go to, it's screwing up your head. you are running a lawn company, not an IBM office." can you imagine that? can you run a business like this?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You answer your own question. If he has been in it 20 years he must be doing something right.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

or is he? is doing something right? is working 13 hour days in the field, then doing maint and paperwork afterwards considered doing something right? is he running his business, or is his business running him?

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your head was screwed up long before the internet and this website came into existance :D

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

thank you very much mike. i wish i had a comeback, but i really must go now. it's 7:30, time to rip off some senior citizens and disabled people

6. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

What............are you running for public office now?

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it too.. I have too much energy to work a 40 hour week.. I need to keep moving or I get bored and don't want to do anything..

18hours of work a day, 6 days a week and 5 hours on Sundays.. I will work as many hours as it takes to get the things I want in life.

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Yes he can run a bussines like that - it's been going and supporting him for 20 years already and probably will for the next 20 years.
    I'll bet this guy knows to the penny what goes on in his business. He might not have it on a computer on a nice state-of-the-art business management software program but all in the back of his head and on a bookkeeping system he keeps at home.
    IMO his smart enough not to discuss his business's figures with you because it is none of your business.

9. hartslawnmain

hartslawnmain LawnSite Member

It's hard to believe people had businesses before the computer age, isn't it Bobby?I'm sure when Sam Walton opened his first dime store he didn't have computers and spread sheets. He offered decent products at decent prices and gave good service just as your friend's doing. and does a good job. He obviously invested back into the company just as your friend is doing. has nice stuff. As was said before, he must be doing something right if he's been in the biz 20 yrs and which, by the way, was much more lucrative and a lot less competition 10-20 yrs. ago. While you were running a printing press or whatever it was you did for $ 12.00/hr, he was building a customer base and on his way to being a successful entrepeneur. Let him run his and you run yours.

10. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

You can gain some info here about these questions your asking him(which are none of your business!) I don't think he would be doing lawn work year after year if he wasn't profiting.....mind your own business and let us know when you've made 20 years of service to the industry?!