1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thatch,aeration,seed & fertilizer price???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman50, Oct 15, 2001.

1. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

hi, i have a customer that is going to want her lawn thatched, aerated, slitseeded, and fertilized with a starter fertilizer next spring. Her lawn is around 11,500 sq. ft. A typical lawn that takes me about oh 15-20 to mow with a 60" ZTR, doing a neat job. I have been charging $35.00 per application of fert, and i thought that i would check to see if my prices are right. I am getting $25.00 for the cut. I need to give her a bid for next year on all the stuff i mentioned. I have a spreader, aerator, thatcher, so i wouldnt need to rent anything. Could you please help me out on the following?...

Thatching-- With clean-up $$

Aerating-- $$

slit-seeding(overseeding) $$

Starter fert. $$

thanks guys. i would appreciate any help that you can give.:confused:
  2. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

Well, please write back if you can, with any info.
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

$25 for a lawn that takes 15 minutes using a 60" ztr? is this not including trimming and blowing afterwards? id imagine atleast $35?
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Assuming that all your equipment is walk behind, I would esitmate in the neighborhood of $450.
  5. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

The above prices are what i get for this work.
  6. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

$340.00 for a lawn to be thatched that only takes me 10-15 minutes to mow sounds like i would be the laughing stock of the city!!! How long would this operation take?
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

grassman50, how much thatch is there on the ground now? How deep is it?
  8. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

There really isnt that much thatch to be cleaned up. She just wants it done, plus, i think it would be a good idea anyways before i seed it. probably a quarter inch or so.
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If there is only 1/4 thatch I would not de-thatch it, no reason. A little thatch is a good thing.

I have several other questions:

Why would you do this in spring?

What kind of grass are you seeding?

How dense is the grass now?

What kind of broad leaf weed problem do you have?

Does the lawn have crabgrass?
  10. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

Um cause spring is the time to do all of this. Poa pratensis is the grass she has now throughout the whole lawn. Also mixed in with some lolium perenne from the previous year. It is kinda dense, could use some thinkening. It is good to thatch before overseeding anyways cause you expose the soil, allowing good seed to soil contact, if i was just to seed on top of thatch, it wouldnt be nearly as good.