Thatch Questions

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AWJ Services, Apr 1, 2005.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I will start out that I have searched and read quite abit of information.And that I am new to buisness so please be Patient.

I have a few questions.
    With Bermuda lawns that are less than 1 1/2 years old is it possible too have a thatch problem?
    I have signed a few accounts in a new neighborhood and a competitor is going around and selling dethatching services and my customers are questioning me when I tell them that it does not need it.
    These are lawns that have had one summers growth on them.If you physically look at them there not dense enough too even hide the soil completly.Most are in poor shape with alot of weeds showing since the grass is still dormant.
    I have tried to explain this too the customers with mixed results.

Dethatching and raking with a tine rake such as the jrco are 2 different processes right?

I understand that a core sample is the only way too determine wether detaching is needed but why do people tine rake Bermuda?

Also when is the approprate time too dethatch Bermuda.Is it ok too do it when it is dormant?

I think I know the answerrs too these just need some positive reinforcment. :)

I wish I could find some printed documents to help educate my customers on sound LawnCare and dispell some myths.

2. AWJ Services

from Ga

Man almost 50 veiws and no comments?
    I will thank the person for the PM and the good information.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

4. AWJ Services

from Ga

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Bermuda is the most prominent grass we have here. Usually only the hybrids need dethacthing and I was taugth that it is best to do it when the grassis actively growing by Dr. Kopec at U of A. His studies show that it can recover best from the proceedure when actively growing (summer). I haven't much i nthe way of thatch problems but I dealt mainly with common, and giant rather than hybrids like Santa Anna or tiffway 419 so conditions may be different depending on the maintence practices you have and the cultivar. The do sell decomposition enzymes that can help control thatch build up. Have you checked with a local sod grower or your local cooperative exentsion service for free literature? Hope this helps.

6. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

Yes "dethatching" and using a tine rake such as a jrco are two different things

7. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

Can you please explain why they are different. What is a jrco rake. I use a 30" fiberglass handle rake.