Thatch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by solaras, Jul 21, 2001.

1. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

I am looking to find the best method of thatch removal of St. Augustine for prepartion prior to resodding. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

solaras,

If you're going to resod, why remove thatch? Simply have your grader remove the old sod and then lay the new. If you're not putting new sod down and just want to rejuvinate the existing sod then get yourself a power-rake and a large trailer or dump to haul away the debris. Up here in Spring Hill there are companys that get almost .10 sq ft to remove thatch. Considering that new sod sells for about .26 sq ft I thinks that's pretty good money.

3. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

The property that i am bidding on has excessive thatch that needs to be removed.

4. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

What mowerman90 was wondering is why you would remove the thatch if you are going to resod. I don't understand either. If you are going to resod, you should remove the existing turf. Then there wouldn't be anything to dethatch anyway.:confused:

5. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

True, my bad. Let me re-phrase that. This will be my first major resod job. This property has a whole lot of thatch. What is the best method for the removal of everything. And, what type of equipment would be benificial. This is all a learning experience for me and i have got so much usefull info from this site. Any help is appreciated.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Simplest way is to use a sodcutter. Set depth to match the thatch/soil interface. Would be easier to pick up, and probably less volume than the debris generated by powerrake.